New to custom builds, looking for advice

SubaruGuy94

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I am attempting to save up for my first custom build, and I am looking for some advice as to what components I should be using. I want to use it for video edinting (nothing too advanced, though) and various everyday tasks, like watching videos, doing homework, and browsing the Intrernet. I want to have a reliable machine that can be easily upgraded in the future. As I am currently a student, I don't want to spend too much money, preferably less than $500.

I want a decent processor, at least 2.5GHZ... thinking Core i5 or Core 2 Duo. Im not really sure which would be better and where I could get the best price. Im not sure if I really need dedicated graphics and what sort of cost that would involve.

I really want an SSD... what makes and models are good? Where can I get the best price? I dont need anything too large, but I dont want anything too small either, as I will be storing photos and videos on it.

I really have no idea about motherboards, to be honest.

What power supplys are good? How much power would I need?

Cases... I want something well-made, but not too fancy. I might want some LEDs, but I dont want to spend more than like $100 on a case. Where can I find a good one?

Like I said before, I want a system that can be easily upgraded and expanded upon, as I want it to last for a while, so that will be a big priority in this build.

Some advice on monitors would be helpful, but I will likely use my old Dell LCD monitor or get a decent second-hand one.

This will be my first build, so any advice, information, tips, or help will be usefull. Thanks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($133.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($104.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $486.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-01 15:24 EST-0500)

This is a very solid build for your budget.

Core2 duo is very old and awful compared to modern standards. low end i3s blow them away.

Do you plan to play any games at all?

g-unit1111

Titan
I want a decent processor, at least 2.5GHZ... thinking Core i5 or Core 2 Duo. Im not really sure which would be better and where I could get the best price. Im not sure if I really need dedicated graphics and what sort of cost that would involve.

Core 2 Duo is no longer manufactured. :lol:

The dual core model is the i3. i5s have quad core but lack extra threads. i7s are quad core with additional threads for video editing and rendering apps.

I really want an SSD... what makes and models are good? Where can I get the best price? I dont need anything too large, but I dont want anything too small either, as I will be storing photos and videos on it.

Less than $500 you won't be able to get one, let alone a decent model. Good ones are the OCZ Vector, the Samsung 840 Pro, the Plextor M5S, the Crucial M4, and the ADATA SXG9000.

TRENDING THREADS