Nvidia's vsync vs AMD's vertical refresh

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

You have AMD cards i was going to ask you if you noticed what you described with vertical refresh only getting 30 or 45 when going under 60 (i havn't) but i doubt you get less than 60 fps.

Basically the reason why people boast about adaptive is because when you reach 60 the software turns on but when you go below it turns back off it as its names suggests adapts to your situation in a game. Vertical refresh to my knowledge only controls when vsync is turned on.

Thats pretty much exactly what i told him in the last thread he asked about it... Eh oh well.

redeemer

Distinguished

Adaptive Vsync is marketing plain and simple, with it on or off I do not notice any differences.

It is a very hard thing to watch unless you are doing something that is constantly pushing beyond the 60 FPS barrier if you have your settings pushing you below that margin or around it I would think you wouldn't notice it. With older games I'm sure it would show quite a bit.

redeemer

Distinguished

turning Vsync off is a better option anyway

Right I would only turn it on if you were to experience tearing in a game. Which then I would use adaptive. I don't think its a marketing gimmick. I just feel that for most people they won't need it if they are properly adjusting there in game settings to what they ought to be set at.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
adaptive will only turn vsync on when you hit or are above your monitors refresh rate. its doing what i already suggested to you doing manually in the other thread. just read the wiki article about vsync.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
exactly. it doesnt prevent tearing at sub refresh rate of the monitor. thats logically impossible without losing some frames.
im not sure if you can specify a limit where vsync turns on, like at 40 or 80 fps or so. maybe a nvidia user can verify this?
still, it makes the most sense to adapt it to your monitors Hz.

Its less violent then vsync because instead of doing 2 actions with normal vsync adaptive does one. It does help with tearing because it keeps your frames at 60 fps and only turns on when you get above 60 fps instead of locking you in at 60 fps. It's a smarter vsync.

I think it was a pun against your card as I did a google search and couldn't find a single one. The Twin Frozr cards have excellent coolers anyway if you wanted to overclock with water probably could just get a ASUS TOP card which probably uses a 680 PCB and be good to go.

:lol: pun these nutts my cards are fine. :love: