Budget LAN PC

casparolesen

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Hey guys! I need some help deciding on parts:

Approximate Purchase Date: I don't know. I just wanna see how much it would cost me to build a small LAN PC.

Budget Range: Not much more than 400-600$ (I live in Denmark, so everything is a lot more expensive here)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web browsing (it's for LAN parties)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything, except GFX (I plan on putting the GTX 660, which is in my current build, in the new PC, and then buying a better card for my main rig (this is not included in budget))

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.proshop.dk, www.komplett.dk, www.fcomputer.dk (danish sites - Google Translate FTW!)

Parts Preferences: An Intel CPU is pretty much a must for me. But, if I get a lot more bang for my buck with an AMD CPU, then I'm willing to try it out.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050, but I will upgrade to 1080p sometime soon.

Additional Comments: Again, it's for LAN parties, so it has to be a small form factor, lightweight etc.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I need a LAN PC, as my main rig (Corsair Carbide Series 500R) is a bit big!

Thanks for your help guys!

/Caspar

You don't need something as powerful as a GTX 660 for LAN games. Every LAN game I can think of would run at max settings on an A10-5800K on onboard graphics. AoE 2/3, Warcraft 3, BF 1942/Vietnam etc.

The advantage of the A10-5800K is that you can fit it in any case ;)

EDIT: If you do go for it, get 8GB of fast RAM. 1866Mhz minimum. It makes a big difference.

OK fair enough, GTX 660 sounds best then. Didn't realise any modern games would play via LAN.

In that case, I'd look at an i3 with at least 4GB RAM and a B75 motherboard. If you can't afford an i3, a Pentium should be OK. Can't think of any small cases that might be suitable and widely available. Bitfenix Prodigy is good but not exactly small for a mini ITX case.

casparolesen

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Thanks for your help. I am going to work now, but I will try to put a PC together when I get home (on pcpartpicker, ofc) and then post it here. Will you then review it? That would be great!

/Caspar

That looks good to me, check the dimensions on that case though. It might not be as small as you think. The 430W of that PSU would be fine as well if you want to save more cash.

When I get a bit more chance later, I'll make more suggestions.

kaels

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I think the case is great, but a lot of reviews mention it being a tight fit for power supplies. Be ready to do a light case mod if you need to.

Your choice of PSU is too expensive for an ultra-budget build. You can spend quite a bit less for an equally good one:
http://www.proshop.dk/Products/ProductSearch.aspx?search=Corsair%20Builder%20Series%20CX500%20V2

Gaming really works better on 8GB RAM these days. Also, I'd definitely get the low-profile RAM.
http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Corsair-Vengeance-hukommelse-2385094.html

That increased cost is covered by the savings on the PSU.

Do you really need an optical drive?

As far as improvements, you could afford to do two things without breaking your budget:
1) Spend a bit more on the motherboard and get built-in WiFi, which might be useful for LAN parties:
http://www.proshop.dk/Products/ProductSearch.aspx?search=GA-H77N-WIFI

2) Buy one or two fans so that little case doesn't cook your computer.

casparolesen

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Uh, I don't know if I'm ready to fiddle more than needed with my case... Can you recommend some other mini-ITX cases for the same price or less?
PSU: Thanks for the recommendation!
RAM: Sounds all fine!
Optical drive: Yea, I think it would be nice :)
MOBO: Very nice motherboard. Thanks!
Fans: Sure thing ;-)

Thanks!

I wouldn't call the CX-500 equally good, the Seasonic will be better quality. Theres nothing wrong with the Corsair though. I wasn't aware that any games were using more than 4GB RAM, do you have any benchmarks to suggest this? I dont think he will need more fans personally, that CPU/GPU combo is quite efficient. Mobo and optical are just preference really.

The Prodigy is fine so long as you get a non-modular 140mm depth PSU. (This includes that Seasonic and the Corsair.) It might be a tight fit but that WILL fit. It is the ATX specification.

Now that I think about it, nothing smaller will fit the GPU. Some similar cases though are some of the mini ITX cubes by Coolermaster, Lian Li, Silverstone etc.