Sign in with
Your question

No display using HDMI to HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2013 7:44:10 PM

Hi everyone, I have a custom built PC with a Palit Geforce GTS 450 video card that has a HDMI port included. I recently got a new acer S240HL 24 inch lcd monitor that has a HDMI port in the back as well as DVI and VGA ports. So I thought I would try and improve the picture and use a HDMI cable instead of my VGA, but when I do, there is no display at all. The monitor light just turns yellow. I've searched for nvidia drivers that could support this but all can find are HDMI audio drivers. I can't find anything in the nvidia control panel either that might enable the connection.

I've had trouble getting signals from other PCs using HDMI cables in the past as well. What am i doing wrong? Why won't it just work?

Can anyone help please?

More about : display hdmi hdmi

a b Î Nvidia
January 11, 2013 9:36:04 PM

heres a funny suggestion: what if you used both the vga and hdmi at the same time, nothing should blow up afaik (you can change the active input in the monitor OSD....) that way you should get a picture via vga and the card might pick up the hdmi connection as well so you might be able to make it the primary output option somewhere in the drivers. Grasping straws here a bit but it wasnt unusuall for older cards to use dvi or vga output by default and only by some obscure settings to enable the hdmi output...

about the drivers, the latest ones should still support 4xx series, try this and see what comes up
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

January 11, 2013 9:40:47 PM

If you have the computer off, then turn it on with the HDMI cable plugged in, do you see the BIOS splash screen?
Related resources
January 11, 2013 11:07:51 PM

Shanglerod said:
Hi everyone, I have a custom built PC with a Palit Geforce GTS 450 video card that has a HDMI port included. I recently got a new acer S240HL 24 inch lcd monitor that has a HDMI port in the back as well as DVI and VGA ports. So I thought I would try and improve the picture and use a HDMI cable instead of my VGA, but when I do, there is no display at all. The monitor light just turns yellow. I've searched for nvidia drivers that could support this but all can find are HDMI audio drivers. I can't find anything in the nvidia control panel either that might enable the connection.

I've had trouble getting signals from other PCs using HDMI cables in the past as well. What am i doing wrong? Why won't it just work?

Can anyone help please?

if your hdmi port isn't workink then buy a dvi to hdmi converter plug and try it through the dvi port. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-MALE-TO-HDMI-FEMALE-ADAPT... their only £2
January 12, 2013 7:16:24 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
If you have the computer off, then turn it on with the HDMI cable plugged in, do you see the BIOS splash screen?

Hi, no I don't see the bios or splash screen. Given that, it's probably not a driver issue then? I've tried 2 different HDMI cables by the way with the same results. Starting to wonder if it's the port in either the card or the monitor.
January 12, 2013 7:18:58 AM

bigirishman said:
if your hdmi port isn't workink then buy a dvi to hdmi converter plug and try it through the dvi port. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-MALE-TO-HDMI-FEMALE-ADAPT... their only £2

I have one of those but i thought i wouldn't get the full benefits of HDMI to HDMI that way. Although i probably will do it that way if all else fails.
January 12, 2013 7:23:02 AM

Kari said:
heres a funny suggestion: what if you used both the vga and hdmi at the same time, nothing should blow up afaik (you can change the active input in the monitor OSD....) that way you should get a picture via vga and the card might pick up the hdmi connection as well so you might be able to make it the primary output option somewhere in the drivers. Grasping straws here a bit but it wasnt unusuall for older cards to use dvi or vga output by default and only by some obscure settings to enable the hdmi output...

about the drivers, the latest ones should still support 4xx series, try this and see what comes up
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I did wonder about that, but as i couldn't find any settings to change the output anywhere I didn't try it. I shall investigate that idea further though thanks.
January 12, 2013 4:53:40 PM

Shanglerod said:

Can anyone help please?

As far as im aware, dvi is the same a hdmi (1920 x 1200 max res), except you cant get audio through the cable. You'd have to use an audio lead also to get sound.
January 12, 2013 5:25:16 PM

bigirishman said:
As far as im aware, dvi is the same a hdmi (1920 x 1200 max res), except you cant get audio through the cable. You'd have to use an audio lead also to get sound.

Not necessarily....
January 12, 2013 5:40:01 PM

Using a dvi connection gives you 1920 x 1080p. im not sure if a dvi cable would be better quality than hdmi. Do you have any knowledge on this? Would be good to know!
January 12, 2013 9:20:28 PM

Yeah that's fine, i don't need the audio anyway as i just plug my speakers into the jack.

Typical though, i have lost my dvi to HDMI adapter just when i want it!

Thanks for the input guys!
!