Which Case Shoud I Choose????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMatrix

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hi there,

I am aiming to build a gaming build by the end of this year and I am very stuck on my case choice. And I mean VERY stuck.
My components are as such...

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($454.25 @ PB Technologies)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($191.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($219.00 @ PC Force)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($182.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.00 @ Computer Lounge)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($178.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card ($1012.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.68 @ Ascent Technology)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 800W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($199.00 @ PC Force)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($141.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($152.04 @ Ascent Technology)
Total: $2991.97

I've been settling for the Shinobi for a while as I really like the look but I still don't know if it is good enough, big enough and good quality for my money.
I also am not going to get a Twelve Hundred unless I really have to as I can't stand the look of it. :fou:
So please, if you have any suggestions, advice or experiences with Mid to Full-Tower cases, please let me know...

Thanks!

P.S. I am also planning on running another 680 in SLI. Thought I'd let you know so as to know how much space I'd need...

Solution
What is your budget and what are some of the places you are buying from so we can use this site to help you find something good. Okay, no flashy LEDs for you then...

How do you feel about NZXT Phantom cases? They are pretty good cases, lots of airflow. However if you want High Air Flow then get a Cooler Master HAF case. HAF stands for, you guessed it, High Air Flow. They were quite creative with the naming huh? I recommend a 922 for a mid tower and a 932 for a full tower. These cases have some serious airflow.

About the 1100. It's a super tower so don't expect it to be small. There aren't many bad things about this case.
Aug 13, 2012
That case has crap airflow. Get a Cooler Master HAF 912 if you are on a low budget. For around $80 you should consider the 300R. At around $110 you can get a NZXT Phantom (airflow monster), ARC MIDI R2. You don't really need a 1200. Did you already buy the parts? You should get a Hyper 212 Evo instead, it is the king of low budget cooling. 8gb is more than enough for gaming, you might even want to drop it down to 1600mhz. That PSU is a bit overkill, consider a cheaper 750W unit.

BlackMatrix

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Thanks. I can't get a HAF 912 where I am (New Zealand) so are there any other cases? I can get a HAF XM though... And yeah... That also means NZ Dollars...
I appreciate your concern with my part list, but I want to keep it as it is so as it can keep me running for a few more years.... The Noctua is going to be used for overclocking... And 16GB for gaming and multitasking... But thanks any way. I've had a look at the ARC MIDI and it does look nice, but sadly it is not available in NZ...

Good gamer cases
Antec 300 two
Antec 1100
The HAF's are available in NZ but the prices are stupid compared to the Antecs
Check out
www.pricespy.co.nz

you dont need 16 gig of RAM for gaming
you only need a 600 watt power supply

and by the end of the year [10 months from now!] all the components in your list will be old junk

BlackMatrix

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
:D Thanks for replying so fast everyone!

I still have not made 3 things clear.
1. I am going for 16GB of RAM. I already have it as it was given to me as a gift.
2. I have settled with my components and I am not aiming for a cheap build. I have built this to my personal needs and specifications. But thank you for taking a concern.
3. You have no idea how much stuff costs in NZ. E.g. We pay double for our internet which is almost three times slower than the rest of the world. :lol:

Replying to an earlier post...
"What are you looking for in a case?"

I am looking for good aesthetics... (big factor here -can't stand the 1980's spaceship looking things with lots of mesh and LED fans...)
I am definitely looking for space. Lots and lots of space. (well, enough to fit my gear in.)
And I am also looking for good airflow (Possibly THE biggest factor here...)

Now I have hopefully explained everything... Please don't get the idea that I'm a grumpy old man and that I don't listen to advice. :??:

If there is anything else, please don't hesitate to slam the reply button!

P.S. I really like the look of the eleven hundred... but there must be Pros AND cons??? Any help on the bad points?

Aug 13, 2012
What is your budget and what are some of the places you are buying from so we can use this site to help you find something good. Okay, no flashy LEDs for you then...

How do you feel about NZXT Phantom cases? They are pretty good cases, lots of airflow. However if you want High Air Flow then get a Cooler Master HAF case. HAF stands for, you guessed it, High Air Flow. They were quite creative with the naming huh? I recommend a 922 for a mid tower and a 932 for a full tower. These cases have some serious airflow.

About the 1100. It's a super tower so don't expect it to be small. There aren't many bad things about this case.

Solution

BlackMatrix

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

My budget is up to 300 NZD. I've had a look at the NZXT cases and I have to hand it to them for design. I've been using PCPartPicker NZ for my part lists. But yet again, they are around 400 dollars for the 820s and 200 bucks for a 410. and apparently the 410s don't have a lot of room... I could cut down on part price, but I feel as if I shouldn't as I want max performance... They do look VERY well made and quite sexy IMO... Wouldn't mind an 820...

I've been swaying towards the eleven hundred. It looks nice, and has a lot of air flow.... But there must be better ones out there.... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.