Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes to black screen when browsing or random programs.

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2013 10:05:29 PM

Alright so I have been having this error for a while and havent been able to get it solved. I have been having these random crashes to a black screen when simply watching youtube videos and once in a while in the middle of a nowhere but there is always a program open. I searched for this problem and I found that someone had it, and owned the exact same GPU as me (HD 6850 OC edition). In the end they just bought another one but I really want to leave buying a new one as a last resort. I have tried reinstalling drivers and this didnt work. I previously owned a graphics card that was a HD 6850 and it had similar problem so I sent it for RMA. It came back 6 days more than it says it should only for me to go to a MSI office and see that it still has problems. So I returned it to RMA for another 20 days (MSI is so slow). This time they sent me back the same type of graphics card except this time it wasnt the one I sent in for RMA, even though I demanded another type due to their failure the first time in fixing it. It worked fine for 3 months and now its back to where we started. I have seen several forums talking about the HD 6850 having some kind of similar mistake so this leads me to believe that this type of Graphics card has some kind of problem. I cannot confirm that however so I am asking you guys for help to see what it might be. ;) 

MOBO: Tilapia APCI x64 built
CPU : AMD Phenom 2 X6 1045T
Graphics card: (MSI) Radeon HD 6850 OC Edition
I have 6 gigs of ram.
And if my math is right then my PSU should be sufficient for my hardware..
I recently installed a new fan but the error happened before this. It hasnt occured more often since then.

Please help as best as you can im open to suggestions. :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2013 2:28:45 AM

How strong is your PSU?

Is your PC perhaps overheating? Does your CPU fan get really loud right before this happens?
m
l
March 2, 2013 2:56:59 AM

575wats I think.

No trust me it isnt overheating Far cry 3 goes to 60oC on Max settings. And as for my CPU fan I cannot hear it because of the additional fan I bought that helps cool it by another 10oC but its loud. I wear headsets so that doesnt really bother me.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 4:25:38 AM

This happened to me and it's because the gpu has an auto shutdown feature when it hits a certain number. Well that's why mine did it anyway when it would hit 110C.

Monitor the gpu temps and see if that's it.
m
l
March 2, 2013 4:34:38 AM

That is not it. My GPU doesnt go nowhere near that high. Highest possible is 60oC which ive been told is good. And since it occurs when browsing (most of the time) its not possible that it even gets to 60oC.
m
l
!