Jan 12, 2013
Digital storm vs I buy power vs. Cyberpower Vs. Alien ware

which one is the best

please tell me the pros and cons on all the websites

Thanks in advance

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Its not a question of who is better its a question of what you want and if you are willing to pay for it versus building your own. So the first question what are you willing to spend to get what you want?

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

They are all overpriced. Build your own!!!!!

Amanda Meggs

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Digital Storm to me is the best. It has many good reviews, good customer service, their customization for the computers is good. My computer is from them and i would totally recommend them.

g-unit1111

Titan
In all honesty? None of the above. If I were forced to choose, I'd probably pick Digital Storm. Alienware is rebaged Dell garbage. Cyberpower and IBUYPOWER are the same company. And they both have the same horror stories attached to them. So really it's kind of a catch 22.

But the thing is they charge too much for hardware that, if you built the system yourself, would cost about 1/2 of the markups that these OEM resellers hit you with. The thing is they have bottom lines and profit margins to worry about. We don't. What they charge $2K for would be a system that would really cost about $1200 if you built it yourself. What they charge for a $1200 system would run about $850 if you build it yourself. Bottom line is that if you build a system yourself, you'll get more PC for less money. If you go through a reseller, you get less PC for more money.

cobra188d

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

I know this is a late post, but I've been pricing out computers on many of the OAM resellers and then taking and pricing out the same components. I built a $900 system on the OAM sites, then priced out each component using the best price I could find online. My research showed that, for the hardware only, it would cost me $70 more to have them build it. When I added shipping, it cost me $50 more to buy the individual parts to do it myself.

g-unit1111

Titan

What kind of system are we talking about? If you post the specs between the Cyperpower rig and the one you build yourself I could see the differences between the two.

Cube_of_Rubik

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013

Actually, Digital Storm has very fair deals, particularly the Level 4 Vanquish Gaming PC. It has almost the same price when you build it with the same specs.

StarTrek2013

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
CyberPowerPC is horrible, but IBuyPower, if you get a computer that has good reviews, is excellent. Digital Systems rips you off with a $700+ gaming computer that has only a GTX 640 GPU and an i3-4330.

babosadaltonica

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I don't understand how people think that these websites are 10% or barely more expensive than a build it yourself rig. I just checked out a cyberpowerpc desktop that is identical to the one I built (547) and it literally costs 230 more dollars. Add the 65? dollars of shipping and the price difference is even more ridiculous.

Whether it is digital storm, cyberpowerpc, or ibuypower, all of them have been at least 200 dollars more expensive for the EXACT same parts. And shipping is 50-70 dollars extra. With my parts that I bought for my computer shipping was free or very low; the 542 that I quoted has a copy of windows and includes the shipping costs that I paid. (though I only paid shipping for like two things; I think I paid 10 bucks total in shipping) And no, there weren't other costs like an amazonprime membership since I don't have it and got free shipping with eligible parts.

Since I was curious, I did the same for higher tier systems that cost 700-1,200 and they were still 200-250 bucks more expensive with these websites. I understand that it is nice having some help with the process, but it is definitely not close to build it yourself prices. You don't even have to spend a lot of time researching. Go on pcpartpicker and they show you the price history of the part so you can see if you are getting a *roughly* good deal.

BroKen_H

Reputable
May 13, 2014

I can only warn you. My personal experience with Cyberpower was dismal. QC does not exist. Tech support is unhelpful and downright mean at times. I had a machine that came to me, had a broken liquid cooler (I paid the extra for the extra foam shipping/packing and the hard foam inside the case broke the tube.) Got an RMA and sent it back (without the computer for 3 weeks). It came back noisy as all get out, and I had expressly told them on this build that it would be for a recording studio. They said it was a "custom build" and was not guaranteed to suit my needs, only its specifications. Asked if I could return it for refund (30 day cash back) and they said that I'd had it longer than 30 days (I had had it in my possession for 2). Long story short, I called my credit card company and they refunded my money at which point I got a nasty call from the owner who said we'd have to go to small claims. I recited all the phone conversations from my notes that I'd had and he agreed to take the machine back (but I had to pay the shipping). Definitely would never buy from them again.
My iBuyPower machine was brilliant that I'd had before ordering this one, but was obsolete(ish) and the power supply had burnt up and probably taken out the mb, cpu, memory, or all of the above after three years of great use. I'd definitely recommend their product.

Cube_of_Rubik

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
When you research on Google, you will find that there are people who complain about purchased products from iBuyPower, CyperPower, and Alienware. Meanwhile, nobody who has bought Digital Storm computers complained.

So, it seems like Digital Storm is the best path for you.

1wwtom

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
FYI, my Cyberpower PC is Old. How old? Try 6yrs and the only thing I've had to replace since bought was the DVD burner last year! I'm not a hardcore gamer. I do have a few older ones COD2, Rainbow6 Vegas, Postal 2 and such but my main purpose is Video encoding from DivX, MKV, mp4 .etc to DVD with my Nero suite. I always figured a gaming PC would have the extra OOMPH I needed. In any case, this thing IS 6yrs old now and I'm pricing stuff now 'cause I'm sure it won't last much longer. This being my 2nd CP rig since like 2002 or so, I wouldn't hesitate to go with them again, in fact they're my 1st choice.

BroKen_H

Reputable
May 13, 2014

Glad you've never had to deal with their Tech or Customer Support. It's obvious you haven't or you wouldn't ever go back.

I bought from Cyberpower PC once. The HDD rack arrived bent with the HDD itself loose and unsecured. :s
I did not receive the keyboard that was supposed to be bundled with the PC, though I did get the mouse.
The motherboard had been screwed on to the case without stand-offs, thus warping the motherboard and making the graphics card fit poorly.

I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back together right, and bend the HDD rack back into place. Thankfully it all worked in the end, and I'm still using a couple of the parts. But the fact remains, I really do not recommend CyberPower. I've heard some really good stories about them, and some really bad ones, and based on my experience it seems to be sheer random chance whether your PC arrives perfect or barely intact when you order from CyberPower.

Alienware is massively overpriced; anyone with some gaming knowledge can see that.

Digital Storm is by far the best of the 3. Though building your own will still be better and cheaper if you can manage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.