poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Anyone else read the newsletter article about 2.5" RAID?

It was an interesting read, but this quote struck me as odd: "The benchmark results are quite clear: only two 2.5" drives are able to outperform a modern desktop drive in terms of transfer performance"

The only benchmark I saw where this was the case was the burst transfer. There was NO comparative benchmark for <i>sustained</i> transfer rate, and the 2.5" RAID was worse in most other performance benchmarks published, but not CPU utilisation and temperature (which is to be expected).

What's up with that? Or am I missing something?

tas

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Why would anyone use 2.5" drives for a raid? They cost $120 each and you need a mounting kit for them. If you want quiet you can buy 5400 rpm 20 Gb drives for about $65 and you don't need a mounting kit.

And yes the lack of a benchmark for sustained transfer rate makes the review kind of useless.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Haven't read it yet, I will tomorrow morning and comment here. Just don't let me forget :wink:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>