Need advise on a video card please!

War_Kable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Ok i recently just built the rig i always wanted but im having trouble deciding on a Video card since thats all i need to complete my rig. My main choice was the Asus GTX 680 4gig reason is i want to be able to max out every game upcoming game without any problems, Such as SWTOR, Borderlands 2, Upcoming Crysis 3 and Dead space 3 and i was told the 680 would be perfect but im also getting alot of negative feedback saying that i would be wasting money on a 680 retailing at around $570, that i would be better off getting a GTX 660 ti that retails at about $300 and i dont know if its the right choice due to the fact i built this rig to have what i want but i would like to know should i go with the 680 or the 660 or i even considered the 670 Please give a response on what you think. :)

I would get the regular Asus 680 DCII or other 680 if you have the money. in all honestly, the Asus Direct cool 670 would do the trick just fine. oh and you don't need 4 gigs of video memory if you'll only be using one monitor

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

A 660ti is a good card for the price if you like NVidia. The hd 7950 is probably a better choice. If you have the coin to spend then by all means buy a 680. I had the same choice myself just before Christmas and decided to get a hd 7950. The extra money ive saved is going towards a new cpu and motherboard because im moving on from amd to intel as intel cpus have better gaming performance. Whichever you buy im sure you'll be happy.....That is until the new range of gpu's are out. That's life eh

Agreed with Redeemer the reason people are giving you flack is because the 680 is a bit overpriced in comparison to the 670 I would say yes get a 670 with 4 gigabytes it should amount to what a normal 680 would cost. The gigabyte solution is meh 3 slots no ty!

Something like this would do great:
Comes with AC3 and Borderlands 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121659

If you want a reference cooler: Comes with AC3 and Borderlands 2. I would get this if you want a more insurance on your card warranty/service, customer support.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785

You don't get any added performance off the 4 gigabyte model you just get more breathing room in terms of games using up the memory. I would say the 2 gigabyte model will suffice on a 1080p display.

the 670 is definately a great card. I would ONLY consider the 2GB version as this generation's Nvidia cards have limited memory bandwidth anyway, I have yet to see someone show me their 4GB 670 making a difference over a 2GB 670...

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

The hd 7950 has more vram than the 670 and is equal to the 670 in performance in games. Also its considerably cheaper and comes with farcry 3, sleeping dogs, hitman absolution and 20% off the new medal of honour.

There is no way the 7950 is near the 670 in terms of performance.
http://techreport.com/review/23981/radeon-hd-7950-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti-revisited

That article is comparing the 660Ti to the 7950 the 670 is comparable to the 7970 non ghz edition.

With a 670 he gets
1. better performance then the 7950 I think even the AMD guys bigmack and redeemer can back me on that.
2. he gets a game that he wants Borderlands 2.

Also the only way you would use up more then 2 gigs of ram was if you were playing a heavy modded game something like skyrim which I would imagine would eat up ram like a fat boy at a buffet.

I would recommend are Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.
Pricing of the Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X is $330 which is a 10% premium. Also,MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks.That would be a solid choice for the price imo they currently are going for $389.99 a piece that doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks but it's up to you.

Right but big the 7950 and the 670 are not even in the same discussion thats it big I'm posting the borderlands 2 physx video you made me do it.
[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/9k1idbbr2pw?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

Yes AMD cards can do Physx however its all done on the CPU which isn't optimal if you are wanting to push it on high like the Nvidia cards can do without a flinch.

:lol: True

That's what you get man :D haha! Look the 7950 does not perform the same at the 670 no matter how you slice it with the 3 gigabytes of memory would it perform more efficiently with a modded skyrim game sure but for what this guy is doing 670 night and day.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

So your only reason is PhysX between a hd 7950 and a gtx 670? Come on. How many games have PhysX? not many. I only suggested a hd7950 compared to a 670 because A; its cheaper by a good bit, b; because the hd 7950 is equal to the 670(some game titles are better on th hd7950 and some are better on the gtx 670). c; you get a load of free games worth nearly half the price of the card. Im not an amd fanboy and I love PhysX on some games though I tend to put all my bias aside when informing people on the whole picture and not just mention one thing like PhysX on one game.

If he is going to play borderlands 2 he is not going to have quite the same experience with a AMD card he just wont. It completely changes how things run within the game completely.

Raw performance wise you probably won't feel much of a difference yes between the 7950 and the 670. Also, you bring up games Warfighter hasn't done well and isn't a game many people play I would think its safe to say most haven't touched the 20 % off coupon. Also, the only game that is great off that lineup I would say is Farcry 3 I don't see too many people raving about Sleeping Dogs other than its a respectable game. With a 670 or a 680 you get Borderlands 2 a big title as well as Assasins Creed 3 which is more appealing at least to me then the 2 you get from AMD.

When a 660Ti can beat a 7950 and the 670 makes up for the 660Ti's deficiencies I find it quite hard to throw them in the same picture.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

What do you mean "sure but for what this guy is doing 670 night and day"? Can you not do that on a hd 7950. also when you overclock the two cards, the hd 7950 exceeds the gtx 670. the hd 7950 is cheaper and a better overclocker. like I said to the guy though. if he's got the coin then buy a 670!!!!

ikaz

Distinguished
Yeah no point in 4Gig unless your running multi monitor setup and probably SLI as well. If your looking at a 680 don't even think about a 660ti go with a 670 2gig model and save some cash.

right but lets back up to what you just said "when you overclock" what happens when you overclock a GTX670 you could possibly if you were able to get a decent clock pass a 7970 with ease no? And the 7950 would probably be running hotter and using more power to catch up to the GTX670. Overclocking goes beyond opinion its all about the lottery the silicon lottery some chips can be pushed harder then others some can't. If he starts to talk about the 4 gigabyte model of the 680 I think he would have no problem purchasing a 670 at 2 or 4 gigabytes.

He is already getting a game that he has listed he is interested in playing and with Borderlands 2 you can like I said use physx on a AMD card however it uses the CPU and you could only run on stable physx settings on medium with the game. And keep in mind borderlands 2 is a DX 9 game.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

I agree. my main point was that the hd7950 is just as good as a gtx 670 for a lot less money. By the way, if you have a good cpu then PhysX works good using an amd card but nowhere near a NVidia.

But see its a DX9 game for a CPU to pull your performance down that much is unacceptable performance.

Your point is taken I feel in most games you probably couldn't feel much of a difference between the 2 cards unless you were doing something like skyrim.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

You can get borderlands 2 to run in dx10.
1. Go to the directory --> C:Users[Your user Name]DocumentsMy GamesBorderlandsWillowGameConfig a. Find the file WillowEngine.ini (make a copy and rename it as a backup)
2. Find the section [SystemSettings]

Change the following settings to True, you will see if you are currently in DX9 as well.

AllowD3D10=True (this is the key one to enable the DX10 render engine)
Also change the following

MotionBlur=True
DepthOfField=True
Bloom=True
UseHighQualityBloom=True
FogVolumes=True
LensFlares=True

TRENDING THREADS