Sign in with
Your question

Slow PC, can't figure out why

Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2013 11:03:17 PM

Hey guys, I've been having issues all day and have not been able to make much progress. Hopefully someone can help me out. I recently built myself a PC (primarily for gaming) on Christmas and today it has been running super slow. It's been working perfectly up until this morning when i changed something in my BIOS. I noticed that my RAM was only running at 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz. So, I went into my BIOS and enabled the XMP Profile and have been struggling ever since. My computer then started booting up slower than ever and once logged in, programs woud hang and freeze left and right to the point where it was almost not even a functional computer. I then tried booting into safe mode and everything worked just fine there. I've been going through a process of elimination using msconfig to try and find the source of this, but am not having any luck there, reset my BIOS settings to default, no luck. I also ran Kaspersky TDSSKiller, which found a potential threat (File: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\luafv.sys). I'm not exactly sure what this means, but if this is the problem what would my next steps be? Or perhaps I fudged up my RAM somehow? Any help will be much appreciated! :??: 

System Specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
i5 3570k (Not OC'd)
Kingston Technology HyperX 8 GB (2x4 GB Modules) 1600 MHz DDR3
EVGA GTX 660
WD Blue 1 Tb HD
Corsair CX600 PSU

More about : slow figure

March 1, 2013 11:07:43 PM

I noticed that the RAM you are using has 1.65V, which is not supported by ivybridge processors. They max out with 1.5V, which is why I think that the RAM speed was running at 1333 instead of 1600. I'm not sure this is the cause of your problem, but it may cause future problems.
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
March 1, 2013 11:09:22 PM

clear the bios

use the reset button if your board has one , or take the battery out for 15 minutes
Related resources
March 1, 2013 11:12:57 PM

Hi,

I would start by running a memory test on your RAM to see if any of it is not working correctly. I think windows 7 has a ram test, but you can also use MemTest86+ to check it. Where it runs in safe mode with no issues, it may be some malware or something became corrupted inside of windows. Have you tried doing a system restore from a point that is before the problem occurred? Also, you could try doing a windows repair from the windows 7 disk to see if that helps. Usually inside of safe mode it is running very basic drives and using minimal resources. You may want to try running a check disk to see if there is a problem with the hard drive. Also, if you open up process explorer/task manager when this happens, can you see if the cpu is being used 100%? If so, check to see which process is taking up all of the cpu time. I would also check the event log to see if there are any errors reported with the system or applications as they could cause issues as well
March 2, 2013 12:05:57 AM

Well I ran a memory test, found nothing, ran a disk check, nothing, reset my BIOS again, went into msconfig and disabled all services except microsoft services and disabled everything under startup, but its still running slower than normal. I can't perform a system restore either, all restore points are from today, so that won't help, haha. IDK what else to do here...
March 2, 2013 12:31:29 AM

Hi Slayer,
Why didn't you just go back into BIOS and disable the XMP profile?

The memory SPD is set to run 1333MHz with the default timings for compatibility, 1.5v, everything nice.
Often the memory (as mentioned) would require 1.6v or even 1.65v to run the XMP.
I would use 1.65v, once everything's confirmed nice and stable I might try sneaking it back to 1.6v.

Resetting your BIOS puts you back at the default - you should go through and make sure your settings are all correct.
Things like AHCI disk controllers, audio settings or whatever.
Each setting has to be perfect for you.

In my experience I've also had a Win7 go bad on me, it just trashed and needed reinstalling.
The symptoms are similar to what you're reporting...

March 2, 2013 1:04:31 AM

The_OGS said:
Hi Slayer,
Why didn't you just go back into BIOS and disable the XMP profile?

The memory SPD is set to run 1333MHz with the default timings for compatibility, 1.5v, everything nice.
Often the memory (as mentioned) would require 1.6v or even 1.65v to run the XMP.
I would use 1.65v, once everything's confirmed nice and stable I might try sneaking it back to 1.6v.

Resetting your BIOS puts you back at the default - you should go through and make sure your settings are all correct.
Things like AHCI disk controllers, audio settings or whatever.
Each setting has to be perfect for you.

In my experience I've also had a Win7 go bad on me, it just trashed and needed reinstalling.
The symptoms are similar to what you're reporting...

I did disable the XMP, but didn't see any difference. I reset everything back to default in my BIOS (even though I only changed that one setting), but still no good. I suppose something could have been corrupted, but I'd like to save a Win 7 reinstallation as a last resort. But, like I said, TDSSKiller found something with "luafv.sys", but I don't know what to do with this or what it means. Could this file be corrupt? Do I try deleting it, or quarantining it? Any other suggestions?
March 2, 2013 3:48:52 AM

*sigh* Well, clearing CMOS didn't fix it. Guess I'll be reinstalling Windows then
March 2, 2013 7:39:35 AM

So before I go about reinstalling in the morning, should I back up my Steam games so as not to lose my saves? If so, what would be the best way to do that?
March 2, 2013 7:08:53 PM

I think I might have to perform a clean installation. Disk management is hanging. I'm thinking of just copying files to an external hard drive before I wipe everything, but I'm not sure which files I need. My computer is dedicated to gaming, so I dont have any personal files, I'm just concerned with my game saves, or possibly the games themselves to save me time from redownloading all of them.
March 4, 2013 6:51:25 AM

I finished my reinstallation, got all my drivers, updates, and games loaded on, and my computer is definitely running better. So, first off, thanks for all the help! ha. However, I may just be imagining this, but it seems to be slightly choppy at times, mainly when opening up a new program or file. I cleared my CMOS, so everything is back to default and I'm wondering if I should change my RAM settings? Right now, my DRAM frequency reads (through CPU-Z) 666.7 MHz, and is timed at 9-9-9-24. I'm still new to this, so I don't exactly know what to make of this next part, but looking at my voltage, there's JEDEC#2/3/4 as well as XMP-1600 showing 1.50v and 1.650v respectively. Last time, all I did was load the XMP Profile and everything went to hell, heh. So if I could get some direction as to what settings to change up, that would be excellent. Here's a link to my RAM spec sheet for reference.

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KHX1600C9D3K2_8GX.pd...
March 4, 2013 8:01:55 PM

So are you saying not to bother with the settings? It's running fine, I'm just wondering if I should worry about changing anything.
March 16, 2014 12:28:08 PM

hi
for speed up you may also try "Krojam Cleaner" you will get better experience
!