Computer problem

cory000

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Had something strange happen to my computer while I was asleep. I wake up earlier this morning and press a key on the keyboard to wake my system up and nothing. Strangely my computer is off. I thought maybe I shut it down by accident, when I press the button to turn on though, nothing. Try turning the PSU switch on and off and still nothing.

I unplug all the cords and try again. This time it turns on, but the monitor isn't picking up anything from the HDMI cable. I pull the case out and take a look inside and check to make sure everything is seated. All is well and no smell of anything burning. I plug everything back up and still nothing.

When I'm ready to give up it turns on and the monitor finds the source. It fails to load up windows at first but then goes on its merry way and I'm back on it. No data seems to be lost. I ran Malware and MSE and nothing came up. My CPU always runs pretty cool. (37 - 42C) I have no idea what caused the problem.

Soon after that though it shut off for good. I took my system apart and reassembled it and it will turn on now but it will not show anything on my monitor by plugging in straight from the mobo or from my gpu. Just displays no source on the computer screen...

I need some help.

bryce325

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Seems I have a similar problem, make sure your computer is booting by plugging in the internal speakers to listen for the boot beep. If that doesn't work it is either the mobo or the psu. If I find more information on how to fix mine I will also let you know.

cory000

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Much appreciated. I have a Corsair psu which are usually very credible, however looking at some ratings now it seems several people that have one about the age of mine have had some issues. I fear it may be a psu issue that may have messed up my motherboard.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

maybe it lost power for a little bit through the night, is it a gigabyte motherboard? mine doesnt like losing power while asleep it sometimes even needs a bios reset (gets stuck in a failed post cycle) and the overclock is always guaranteed to fail too!

bryce325

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
I have a gigabyte mobo as well and after disconnect all of the power to reset the mobo it started up. I doubt I will be buying a gigabyte product after this since this isn't my first time having an issue with it.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

i would still rather gigabyte over asus i have had about a 50% fail rate on asus mobos personally