Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Compability Check for new Home Server Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Servers
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 1, 2013 11:46:35 PM

I'm planning on building a tiny Mini-ITX, 24/7 home server. I won't need a monitor (have one), mouse or OS (linux - no graphics).

I have all the parts in mind, just wondering if they'll all go together. Here they are.

Motherboard - Intel BOXD2550MUD2 Intel Atom D2550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SSD - ADATA Premier Pro SP900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case - IN WIN BQS656.DD120BL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keyboard - LITE-ON SK-1788/BS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Comes out to $275.95 + $16.46 shipping. Not too bad a price, I think, for what I need. Now I just hope it's all compatible. Please let me know what you think.

More about : compability check home server build

March 2, 2013 12:28:20 AM

What kind of server is this going to be ? A server is hungry on ram and cpu power. If it's only for a little server, it should be okay (only for home use, nothing out to the internet) but for streaming and/or uploading on the internet, you will something more powerful.

Ah yeah and everything will be okay together.


- The Brownie
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 1:23:44 AM

It's going to be my personal server. I'll have a web server, ftp, ssh, maybe some other stuff, but it's really just for me.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 1:35:23 AM

rannday said:
It's going to be my personal server. I'll have a web server, ftp, ssh, maybe some other stuff, but it's really just for me.


I'm still not sure about the processor ... Even if it's cheap it would be better to get something solid that won't break or at least that will work good. If you think you have another 100$ to put in, get an A4 or A6 + a mini-itx board. Don't forget about the ram (sodim don't fit in dimm :p )


- The Brownie
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 1:43:13 AM

Board's SO-DIMM, and the RAM there is SO-DIMM. Had to look up that SO-DIMM is basically laptop memory. At first I had regular desktop RAM modules. Glad I caught that. I've heard the Intel Atom is decent for linux, and I really don't have the extra cash for anything else. I would have gone with AMD, but I've read bad reviews about the current boards Newegg has - something to do with IRQs getting messed up, I think.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 1:51:04 AM

rannday said:
Board's SO-DIMM, and the RAM there is SO-DIMM. Had to look up that SO-DIMM is basically laptop memory. At first I had regular desktop RAM modules. Glad I caught that. I've heard the Intel Atom is decent for linux, and I really don't have the extra cash for anything else. I would have gone with AMD, but I've read bad reviews about the current boards Newegg has - something to do with IRQs getting messed up, I think.


Ok then stick with that. When i saw your so-dimm ram i was like "wtf is he building ?" but then i saw the weird mobo ... I forgot that you are going to install Linux on it ... That will be good then :p 


- The Brownie
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 1:53:54 AM

Yeah. Well thanks for the feedback!

Build - Ordered! Signed up for this V.me Visa thing and saved 10% too. Sweet!
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 1:55:47 AM

rannday said:
Yeah. Well thanks for the feedback!

Build - Ordered! Signed up for this V.me Visa thing and saved 10% too. Sweet!


Nice ! Hope it will work great and have a good night !


- The Brownie
m
0
l