Sign in with
Your question

Final build list, any thoughts/suggestions??

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 12:57:13 AM

So ive ordered my new pc parts. currently ive got an amd 965 BE on a fried asus formula mobo with 16gigs of corsair vengeance ram and a corsair TX850watt psu inside a Haf 922 case.

So ive ordered an i5 3570k, ASRock z77 extreme 4 and 2 MSI twin frozr iii GTX 680's.

What happened was after some more reading and researching i found too much evidence pointing out that i might have made a mistake ordering two gtx 680's. so i ordered an Asus GTX Titan. My reason being its more powerfull ( as a one on one , not sli vs titan) and that i can always buy another Titan down the line.

my question is should i invest in a socket 2011 system since i will be running dual gtx titans in the future or will an i5 3570k on the asrock extreme 4 be enough, i know its a value mobo but so many reviews show it works well so why change? this is where your opinions come in.

socket 2011 cpu + mobo or keep the i5 3570k and get a better motherboard? will i need an xl atx mobo for room?? what motherboard would you recommend from the website komplett.ie its the website im using so it would help if you chose from it. the build will be for gaming on nvidia surround and as a major upgrade for the future. thanks so much for your opinions both personal and objecitve!!
March 2, 2013 1:34:37 AM

So im trying to see what people think of this build for nvidia surround gaming, will it work for games at max settings or does something need improving/replacing?

Its a Haf 922 case
i5 3570k cpu
Asrock extreme 4 z77 mobo
16gigs ddr3 corsair vengeance ram
Corsair tx850w psu
and heres the kicker

Dual gtx 680 2gig msi twin frozr iii
or

a single GTX Titan now and an added one down the line in 3,4 months??

will my motherboard handle two? with pci-e speeds and all??
do i need a bigger case?
will i bottlekneck??

m
l
March 2, 2013 2:10:12 AM

Don't buy a TX-850... it's a good PSU, but if you're going to spend the money, just get an AX-760 and get the higher efficiency and the modular cabling.

Not really sure about your questions, though SLI'd 680s should run three monitors pretty well. Get the 4GB models if you want to be extra sure. I don't know anything about how Titan compares, but it's much more expensive IIRC, so the 680s should be fine...

As for the case, the 922 should handle two GPUs without any trouble (I have room for two in my HAF 912). If you're concerned about it, get the HAF XM, which seems a bit roomier.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 3:47:30 AM

You don't really need 16GB of RAM for a gaming rig. You can get by with 8GB. You should also add a good SSD like the OCZ Vector to the mix.
m
l
March 2, 2013 5:05:35 AM

Well that motherboard and CPU can handle PCI Express 3.0, so i don't see why you should run into any bottlenecks as they are both new hardware.

As for adding a second titan to the system for SLI, you should not encounter any problems as that motherboard has two 16x PCI E 3.0 lanes, just make sure you have a powerful enough power supply to run two. (:
m
l
March 2, 2013 11:22:36 AM

An k so I shouldn't need a bigger mobo for room?? And I've a corsair tx850w psu so that should be okay right?
m
l
March 2, 2013 11:28:09 AM

I forgot to mention I already own most of the components like the corsair tx850 psu and the ram and the haf 922 case. I've ordered the i5 3570k asrock z77extreme 4 AND 2 gtx 680s 2gig models. Then as well I panicked thinking the gtx 680s might be not powerfull enough so I ordered a single gtx Titan.

So now it's a case of what do I RMA, the 680s or the Titan . With the intent to be surround gaming obviously max settings
m
l
March 2, 2013 12:12:19 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Please help! need opinions on titan sli build and bottlekne
    m
    l
    March 5, 2013 11:04:56 PM

Italian bear said:
    I forgot to mention I already own most of the components like the corsair tx850 psu and the ram and the haf 922 case. I've ordered the i5 3570k asrock z77extreme 4 AND 2 gtx 680s 2gig models. Then as well I panicked thinking the gtx 680s might be not powerfull enough so I ordered a single gtx Titan.

So now it's a case of what do I RMA, the 680s or the Titan . With the intent to be surround gaming obviously max settings

Read this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/395806-33-680s-titan-...
    and this review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-p...

Some of the posters recommend a Titan for multiple monitors because of its high memory bandwidth and greater VRAM. Sounds reasonable to me, TBH. Dual 680s are nice, but triple 660TIs or 7970s would beat dual 680s and the Titan.

Also, you should not need a bigger Mobo. You'll only need two slots for two GPUs and the Titan only uses one.
    m
    l
    March 5, 2013 11:10:37 PM

Italian bear said:
    So ive ordered my new pc parts. currently ive got an amd 965 BE on a fried asus formula mobo with 16gigs of corsair vengeance ram and a corsair TX850watt psu inside a Haf 922 case.

So ive ordered an i5 3570k, ASRock z77 extreme 4 and 2 MSI twin frozr iii GTX 680's.

What happened was after some more reading and researching i found too much evidence pointing out that i might have made a mistake ordering two gtx 680's. so i ordered an Asus GTX Titan. My reason being its more powerfull ( as a one on one , not sli vs titan) and that i can always buy another Titan down the line.

my question is should i invest in a socket 2011 system since i will be running dual gtx titans in the future or will an i5 3570k on the asrock extreme 4 be enough, i know its a value mobo but so many reviews show it works well so why change? this is where your opinions come in.

socket 2011 cpu + mobo or keep the i5 3570k and get a better motherboard? will i need an xl atx mobo for room?? what motherboard would you recommend from the website komplett.ie its the website im using so it would help if you chose from it. the build will be for gaming on nvidia surround and as a major upgrade for the future. thanks so much for your opinions both personal and objecitve!!

Not sure if I'm replying to the right message, but a few points to answer your questions:

- Yes, an 850W PSU will be fine. Corsair makes solid ones so no worries on that score. It's not top-of-the-line, far from it in fact, but I wouldn't expect to see any issues, and the power output is more than enough.
    - As I said you don't need a larger MOBO.
    - Don't get socket 2011. It's a dying socket with limited CPU choices. Haswell CPUs will not use socket 2011 so you'd have to upgrade the MOBO if you decide to buy a new CPU in a year or two. You'll have to do that anyway, but at least you'll have avoided the needless cost. Also, 2011 is only used for very high-end CPUs, and a gaming rig has no need of that kind of CPU power.

If you're concerned about brand, buy from a different one. Asus P8Z77 is a very good board from a very solid company.
    m
    l
    !