Card Compatible with My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebame

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I am considering purchasing a Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 graphics card. I'll do a little gaming like counter-strike and I hope Call of Duty. Other than that I might want to put together/edit a home movie. I have two questions.

1) This card appears to me to have a VGA connection. The specs seem to refer to this connection as D-SUB. Is D_SUB and VGA the same thing?

2) Would this be compatibe with my computer?

My computer's specs are listed below. Thank you in advance for your help!

MOBO = ECS Nettle3 v2.2
* Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
CPU = AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core Processor
Existing GPU = NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
* Integrated Graphics
PSU = ATX0300D5WC
* 300 watts of power
OS = Windows Vista Home Premium x64 Service Pack 2
Monitor = Optiquest Q19wb-2
* Resolution = 1440 X 900 @ 75Hz

Solution
Wattage is almost irrelevant these days and companies such as AMD only make recommendations in it because many of their customers wouldn't understand what to look for in PSUs. Regardless, that PSU is almost definitely too weak for that card. It doesn't seem to be able to handle enough +12V amperage.

I suggest getting a Radeon 7750 instead of the 6670. It's a little more expensive, but it's much faster and uses much less power. It has a beter chance of working with that PSU. If you want to be sure, check the PSU's label for how much +12V amperage it is rated for.
Wattage is almost irrelevant these days and companies such as AMD only make recommendations in it because many of their customers wouldn't understand what to look for in PSUs. Regardless, that PSU is almost definitely too weak for that card. It doesn't seem to be able to handle enough +12V amperage.

I suggest getting a Radeon 7750 instead of the 6670. It's a little more expensive, but it's much faster and uses much less power. It has a beter chance of working with that PSU. If you want to be sure, check the PSU's label for how much +12V amperage it is rated for.

Solution

thebame

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you SchizTech and blazorthon for your replys. At +12V the max is 268W. Looks like I should upgrade my PSU. In addition, I'll go with the 7750 blazorthon suggested. Thanks again guys for the help! I appreciate it!

If you decide to upgrade the PSU, then I suggest this model:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151086&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Fairly efficient, very reliable, and plenty of power delivery for your system with a Radeon 7750. It's also not too expensive at only $45.

thebame

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Thank you for the suggestion. The model you recommend is also a 300W power supply. I might have misunderstood, but I thought the recommendation on the power supply was to upgrade to at least a 400W.

Status
Not open for further replies.