Computer locks up and loud buzzing sound comes from speakers

JusticiarPrime

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I bought my first gaming rig back in June of last year and about 6 or so months ago I've been getting an issue were my computer will randomly lock up and a buzzing sound will come out of the speakers. I get absolutely no response from the mouse or keyboard and I have to hit the reset button for it to reboot. This usually happens when I'm either playing a game (Wow for instance) or watching something online like on Hulu or YouTube. Everything is all stock, nothing is overclocked. I've been mentoring my temperatures with Realtemp. Temp stays around 40-50C when under load. I ran memtest86+ for about 17 hours, passed 7 times with no errors, also ran my computer with prime95 and everything seems to check out. I'm really not sure what is going on and I don't know where to go from here. I also reformatted my drive, reloaded windows 7, re-installed my drivers, but nothing helped. Heck, it seemed to have gotten worse after that because before the wipe it was every other week, now it's like 2 times a day.

my build-
CPU- i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011
HDD-2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
Video card-AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB 16X PCIe
RAM-16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1333MHz Quad Channel Memory
Motherboard-ASRock X79 Extreme 4
OS-Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

Any help would be appreciated

bryce325

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Hmm you seem to have covered a lot of your bases did you update/reinstall drivers?

Edit: You did...

Does any weird noise come from any component as well as the speakers?

JusticiarPrime

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

No just the speakers. I've read a few other forum posts from people that have similar issues. Some figured it to be hardware, other's software. I hope its not hardware because I'm short on cash at the moment. I saw one guy had to replace his motherboard and I think that fixed the issue for him. I hope it doesn't have to come to that :(

JusticiarPrime

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Just updated my bios. Also looking at a few other drivers from my mobo's manufacture site and there seems to be two for the HDD with two versions each. I thought I got them all but I guess not. Here's the link-http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win764.

I don't know if I should get the (Intel SATA Floppy Image (RST) ver: 11.7.0.1013) or
(Intel SATA Floppy Image (RSTe) ver: 3.5.0.1101)

As well with the (Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:11.7.0.1013) or
(Intel Rapid Storage Technology enterprise driver and utility ver:3.5.0.1101)

Probably a stupid question, but I'm not sure which ones to get because I don't wanna screw up my system. Also thanks for the help you have provided so far.

bryce325

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Your motherboard probably has all four drivers built in albeit older versions. So you shouldn't have any harm downloading them all.

I am also curious on what your psu is just to rule that one out.

JusticiarPrime

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Its the standard Xtreme Gear one from Cyberpower.
800 Watts - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

model number looks to be XG-H800

bryce325

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Everything keeps pointing back to that motherboard :/
I would consider checking if you are under warranty if you have one.

Just today I had problems with mine and it was solved by resetting it (just by taking out all power from the psu since it stores some power even when disconnected from the wall) and it worked fine so I would try that, other than that I am sorry to say am out of ideas.

JusticiarPrime

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Got everything updated, just seeing if that hopefully fixed the issue. When you say take all the power out you mean unplugging all the psu cables from the motherboard right? I'm a noob at this so forgove me if thats a stupid question lol. I'm looking into getting a new psu here soon as well because I've heard horrible things about. The one I have. What would be a good one to get? I know it's gotta be 80+ just not sure which model to get that is compatible with my stuff. Thanks for the help though from you guys I appreciate it a lot

Andrew Chesters

Honorable
May 19, 2013

i had this problem wot i did was unplug the computer speakers from the speaker jack on the computer and don't use any computer speakers as hdmi cables carry sound. then i tuned my computer to use the digital speaker on my tv now i don't have any problem if you need more help lets me know