What to do with my fried 6670?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdphenomkde

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi. I have an HIS Radeon HD 6670 1GB GDDR5, and I've had it since last July. Last month, my Asus motherboard stopped working and I RMA'd it, and it came back yesterday. Last week, I had the graphics card on the carpeted floor and I picked it up to look at it, which was a very stupid idea since I didn't even discharge myself first and was wearing socks. I felt a small spark while I was holding it and didn't think too much of it, since it was so small, but I was a little concerned. Today, I was doing an external build of the motherboard again just to be sure that Asus had fixed my motherboard. It seemed like the motherboard was back to normal, but consistent with my worries, the graphics card didn't work, which I assumed because the fan didn't spin. It doesn't require a 6-pin connector and I tried it in both PCI-E slots. It made one long beep, and then 3 short beeps and another short beep but there was a half-second delay. According to the motherboard's manual, the way it beeped should mean "hardware component failure" and for "no VGA detected", it would have had one long beep and three short ones. I tried a breadboard configuration too, without the graphics card. I could try to RMA the graphics card to HIS, but they wouldn't like it because if they ask, they would know that it was my fault. I can afford a new graphics card, but I would much rather use that money toward an SSD than to replace a 6 month old graphics card.

It was relatively cheap for a graphics card, but it was $85 and I'd like to not waste it! Thank you for reading and any answers!

amdphenomkde

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Sorry for the late response. It turns out the gfx card is ok! It just wasn't seated in the slot. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.