Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

5000 Series Software Question

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
June 6, 2004 12:52:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

I have the 5504 RTV upgraded to a 160, and would like to know where I
can download the software for the 5000 series. I would like to use the
feature CA. TIA
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:23:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

> I have the 5504 RTV upgraded to a 160, and would like to know where I
> can download the software for the 5000 series. I would like to use the
> feature CA. TIA

My understanding is that the 50xx and 55xx systems use the exact same
software. The serial number that is encoded on the motherboard
determines if CA and IVS (Commercial Advance & Internet Video Sharing)
are active. Loading the other software wouldn't do anything since you
are already running the "correct" software.

Steve
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 5:16:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Steve Waltner <swaltner-2004@cox.net> wrote in message news:<140620042323284886%swaltner-2004@cox.net>...
> > I have the 5504 RTV upgraded to a 160, and would like to know where I
> > can download the software for the 5000 series. I would like to use the
> > feature CA. TIA
>
> My understanding is that the 50xx and 55xx systems use the exact same
> software. The serial number that is encoded on the motherboard
> determines if CA and IVS (Commercial Advance & Internet Video Sharing)
> are active. Loading the other software wouldn't do anything since you
> are already running the "correct" software.
>
> Steve
i believe you can do this check this site...
http://www.replayfaqs.com/Detail_FAQ_Display?ID=288&Ses...
you might find a drive image here...
http://www.virtual4k.com/files/index.htm
Related resources
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 8:47:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:23:28 -0500, Steve Waltner <swaltner-2004@cox.net>
wrote:

>> I have the 5504 RTV upgraded to a 160, and would like to know where I
>> can download the software for the 5000 series. I would like to use the
>> feature CA. TIA
>
>My understanding is that the 50xx and 55xx systems use the exact same
>software. The serial number that is encoded on the motherboard
>determines if CA and IVS (Commercial Advance & Internet Video Sharing)
>are active. Loading the other software wouldn't do anything since you
>are already running the "correct" software.
>
>Steve

zzzztt!!! Sorry, Steve. Wrong answer!

Same version #, but not exact same software.

If you re-image a 55xx with a 50xx image, it will restore CA, IVS and a few
other 50xx functions. The mothership still thinks you've got a 55xx, so
you might loose these functions if there's a software upgrade.

Several links to the 50xx images in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...

Dave
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 8:09:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Papa Dave wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:23:28 -0500, Steve Waltner <swaltner-2004@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>>I have the 5504 RTV upgraded to a 160, and would like to know where I
>>>can download the software for the 5000 series. I would like to use the
>>>feature CA. TIA
>>
>>My understanding is that the 50xx and 55xx systems use the exact same
>>software. The serial number that is encoded on the motherboard
>>determines if CA and IVS (Commercial Advance & Internet Video Sharing)
>>are active. Loading the other software wouldn't do anything since you
>>are already running the "correct" software.
>>
>>Steve
>
>
> zzzztt!!! Sorry, Steve. Wrong answer!
>
> Same version #, but not exact same software.
>

zzzztt!! Sorry, Dave. Wrong Answer!

The software is exactly the same. The only difference is a couple of
registry changes. It is not necessary to load a 5k image, just use Wirns
to make the changes.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 12:57:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 04:09:31 -0400, Tony D <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:


>
>zzzztt!! Sorry, Dave. Wrong Answer!
>
>The software is exactly the same. The only difference is a couple of
>registry changes. It is not necessary to load a 5k image, just use Wirns
>to make the changes.

Thanks. Didn't know that (Don't use Wirns).
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 4:06:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

>>The software is exactly the same. The only difference is a couple of
>>registry changes. It is not necessary to load a 5k image, just use Wirns
>>to make the changes.

Yes, my first replaytv 5504 was upgraded to larger drive with 5040
drive image on it, which allows for internet transfers and automatic
commercial skip function.

Now, I have just used wirns to upgrade my second 5504 to allow for
5040 functions. The wirns 2 line mod allows this change without
opening up the replaytv's case and messing with the harddrive image.

I did have a problem using the instructions for wirns 2 line mod.
The 2 line mod only showed up after reconnecting to the mothership for
updates such as TVGuide scheduling. After the forced connection the
menu system added the 5040 functions. Don't ask me why, but that was
my experience. Other have stated it would show up immediately after
using Wirns and the command shell 2-liner.
June 27, 2004 9:40:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

Specifically where can I locate instructions for
the wirns 2 line mod?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:06:14 -0400, Remove
_NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote:

>
>>>The software is exactly the same. The only difference is a couple of
>>>registry changes. It is not necessary to load a 5k image, just use Wirns
>>>to make the changes.
>
>Yes, my first replaytv 5504 was upgraded to larger drive with 5040
>drive image on it, which allows for internet transfers and automatic
>commercial skip function.
>
>Now, I have just used wirns to upgrade my second 5504 to allow for
>5040 functions. The wirns 2 line mod allows this change without
>opening up the replaytv's case and messing with the harddrive image.
>
>I did have a problem using the instructions for wirns 2 line mod.
>The 2 line mod only showed up after reconnecting to the mothership for
>updates such as TVGuide scheduling. After the forced connection the
>menu system added the 5040 functions. Don't ask me why, but that was
>my experience. Other have stated it would show up immediately after
>using Wirns and the command shell 2-liner.
June 30, 2004 2:21:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv (More info?)

You can find a step-by-step tutorial here:
http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7802

Just be sure you read the post by j.m., because not all of the steps
outlined are necessary if you live in the US, and you get your
listings from the Replay server. It worked perfectly for me when I did
it about a week ago!

Chris

noone <noone@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:<bd8b94b0d9919130162a76d79e56f5b3@news.teranews.com>...
> Specifically where can I locate instructions for
> the wirns 2 line mod?
>
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:06:14 -0400, Remove
> _NOSPAM_ <_NOSPAM_@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >>>The software is exactly the same. The only difference is a couple of
> >>>registry changes. It is not necessary to load a 5k image, just use Wirns
> >>>to make the changes.
> >
> >Yes, my first replaytv 5504 was upgraded to larger drive with 5040
> >drive image on it, which allows for internet transfers and automatic
> >commercial skip function.
> >
> >Now, I have just used wirns to upgrade my second 5504 to allow for
> >5040 functions. The wirns 2 line mod allows this change without
> >opening up the replaytv's case and messing with the harddrive image.
> >
> >I did have a problem using the instructions for wirns 2 line mod.
> >The 2 line mod only showed up after reconnecting to the mothership for
> >updates such as TVGuide scheduling. After the forced connection the
> >menu system added the 5040 functions. Don't ask me why, but that was
> >my experience. Other have stated it would show up immediately after
> >using Wirns and the command shell 2-liner.
!