CD player: high-pitched noise during "tracking"

Last response: in Home Audio
May 9, 2004 10:43:00 PM

Hello everybody,

I recently had my mini hifi system (Pioneer Diva 7, 1998) repaired and
its optical block was changed.
Since then, during all "tracking" phases (i.e CD loading, start/stop
playing, jump to selected track) the CD player emits a hich-pitched
noise (faint but audible) that it did not emit previously... Happilly
everything is ok during play !
I did some tests with various CDs (brand new, old ones, original ones,
CDRs). The only bizarre thing occured with CDRs : when I try to achieve
a large track jump (e.g. 2->9) it doesn't work and the CD player is
reset as if the CD had just been loaded... but I had never tried to do
this previously...
Nevertheless do you think that the high-pitched noise during "tracking"
phases is worrying and justifies to bring back the system to the repair
workshop ?!?
Thanks a lot in advance ! Regards,

Sabry
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 10:43:01 PM

Sabry Khalfallah wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I recently had my mini hifi system (Pioneer Diva 7, 1998) repaired and
> its optical block was changed.
> Since then, during all "tracking" phases (i.e CD loading, start/stop
> playing, jump to selected track) the CD player emits a hich-pitched
> noise (faint but audible) that it did not emit previously... Happilly
> everything is ok during play !
> I did some tests with various CDs (brand new, old ones, original ones,
> CDRs). The only bizarre thing occured with CDRs : when I try to
> achieve a large track jump (e.g. 2->9) it doesn't work and the CD
> player is reset as if the CD had just been loaded... but I had never
> tried to do this previously...
> Nevertheless do you think that the high-pitched noise during
> "tracking" phases is worrying and justifies to bring back the system
> to the repair workshop ?!?

Yes, and so does the problem with large jumps.
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 10:43:01 PM

Do take it back. Not sure exactly your problem, but this is not normal.
Possibly the grating adjustment needs to be re-done, or the tracking gain
may be too high.

Mark Z.

!