Sign in with
Your question

Random restarts while gaming, please help!

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 7:05:51 AM

Hello there.

I have had an issue for a while now with my pc randomly restarting while gaming. For a while I thought it was a heat issue as my cpu and my gpu would get very hot according to speedfan. (the cpu got up to 70C at one point while running an AMD test thing, which is when my mobo died.) I bought a fan, a new mobo, a new cpu cooler unit, and thermal paste, etc, yet the issue persists. (Though temperatures have gone down dramatically, the gpu still appears to be getting a bit hot.)

I have not performed any overclocking whatsoever and have left everything at their default settings. The random restarts do not happen while the computer is idle, only while gaming, whether it be Skyrim, Minecraft, a browser game or virtually any other game that has a decently heavy load on the computer. It would seem that the PSU is sufficient, though I am not positive on that, and it IS new, so I would hope that it isn't already failing!

I would greatly appreciate any input that can be offered on the issue. Thanks!

Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, fully up to date. OR Ubuntu 13.04, issue is same
CPU: AMD FX 4130 quad core 3.8GHz OR AMD Phenom II 1090T
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Patriot 8GB(4x2GB) DDR3 Ram (1333mhz, I think)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series
PSU: Corsair GS800 (Item has been returned to store and replaced with same)
2 HDDs
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S

As a side question... is my Phenom II 1090T 6 core processor better than what I have now? I only replaced it because my computer died and the phenom is missing a pin... I havn't actually tested it to see if it works, haha.

HWMonitor readings while idle:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/hwmonitoridle....

SpeedFan readings while idle:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/speedfanidle.png...

Edit:
Alright, so I have replaced the PSU with a new one of the same make and model.
-I sent the motherboard in for an RMA and they said it tested fine on two separate systems, but they went ahead and updated the BIOS.
-Either BOTH of my CPUs are bad, or they are not an issue.
-Memtest 86+ seems to not find any issues...
-I took the PC to a shop and they said it was either PSU or mobo, and both appear to be clear...
-Installed Ubuntu 13.04 cleanly just to make sure it wasn't software-related.

So that covers:
PSU
Mobo
CPU
RAM
OS

All that leaves is;
GPU
HD

Right? Am I missing anything? Anyone have any input here? I would greatly appreciate the help!!!

More about : random restarts gaming

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2013 7:38:00 AM

I would first try a new PSU.
March 2, 2013 7:39:34 AM

If it works fully then yes it is better.
The most common cause of heat is lint and dust I must say if it is getting too hot but how got is the gpu getting, keep in mind a gpu is allowed to be hotter and your cpu.
Related resources
March 2, 2013 7:23:40 PM

Yesterday the GPU got up to about 46C when the comp shut off. I doubt that is at the turn-off threshold, but I could obviously be wrong. When a computer turns off due to heat, doesn't it normally just turn off, rather than restart?

Is my PSU big/good enough to support what I have now? Should I attempt to get it repaired, or buy a better one? (not sure if PSU companies actually offer RMA type services or not)
March 14, 2013 9:05:58 PM

So... apparently I am able to play minecraft for an indeterminate amount of time... several hours at least, without any kind of crash, yet when I play skyrim or path of exile, or any flash games, the computer crashes. I ran a program called FurMark which is supposed to work as a bench test of sorts for the GPU and it worked fine for 10-15 minutes until I closed it. I'm really at a loss here, as Minecraft has a somewhat heavy CPU/RAM pull and FurMark obviously has a relatively heavy GPU pull...

EDIT: Disregard, MC restarts the system too, in under a minute.
April 27, 2013 12:56:29 PM

Alright, so, ran memtest86+ for 24 hours, approx 16 passes, I think, with zero errors. Also tested my video card in another computer with no crashes at all. Maybe my hard drive?
June 9, 2013 1:34:00 PM

I have EXACTLY the same problem with the same mobo and PSU model. However I had this PSU on a previous mobo and that problem wasn't there so we can rule it out. It all started when I got the 990FXA-UD3. From day 1 I started getting random restarts without any error or BSOD on metro last light, far cry 3 and today in black ops 2 as well. All temps on my system seem fine (CPU, GPU and mobo temps) so I don't know what's going on. Can anyone help us?
June 24, 2013 6:57:19 PM

Llurendt said:
Hello there.

I have had an issue for a while now with my pc randomly restarting while gaming. For a while I thought it was a heat issue as my cpu and my gpu would get very hot according to speedfan. (the cpu got up to 70C at one point while running an AMD test thing, which is when my mobo died.) I bought a fan, a new mobo, a new cpu cooler unit, and thermal paste, etc, yet the issue persists. (Though temperatures have gone down dramatically, the gpu still appears to be getting a bit hot.)

I have not performed any overclocking whatsoever and have left everything at their default settings. The random restarts do not happen while the computer is idle, only while gaming, whether it be Skyrim, Minecraft, a browser game or virtually any other game that has a decently heavy load on the computer. It would seem that the PSU is sufficient, though I am not positive on that, and it IS new, so I would hope that it isn't already failing!

I would greatly appreciate any input that can be offered on the issue. Thanks!

Specs:
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, fully up to date. OR Ubuntu 13.04, issue is same
CPU: AMD FX 4130 quad core 3.8GHz OR AMD Phenom II 1090T
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM: Patriot 8GB(4x2GB) DDR3 Ram (1333mhz, I think)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 series
PSU: Corsair GS800 (Item has been returned to store and replaced with same)
2 HDDs
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S

As a side question... is my Phenom II 1090T 6 core processor better than what I have now? I only replaced it because my computer died and the phenom is missing a pin... I havn't actually tested it to see if it works, haha.

HWMonitor readings while idle:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/266/hwmonitoridle....

SpeedFan readings while idle:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/speedfanidle.png...

Edit:
Alright, so I have replaced the PSU with a new one of the same make and model.
-I sent the motherboard in for an RMA and they said it tested fine on two separate systems, but they went ahead and updated the BIOS.
-Either BOTH of my CPUs are bad, or they are not an issue.
-Memtest 86+ seems to not find any issues...
-I took the PC to a shop and they said it was either PSU or mobo, and both appear to be clear...
-Installed Ubuntu 13.04 cleanly just to make sure it wasn't software-related.

So that covers:
PSU
Mobo
CPU
RAM
OS

All that leaves is;
GPU
HD

Right? Am I missing anything? Anyone have any input here? I would greatly appreciate the help!!!

Did you find out the problem? I am having the same problem
June 24, 2013 10:00:12 PM

Is anything overclocked? If so, go back to default settings and test. Also, have you tried uninstalling/cleaning/re-installing graphics drivers?
June 25, 2013 5:02:04 AM

My problem was fixed by replacing the memory with a couple of bran new Gskill Ripjaws 8GB 1600 Mhz. So also look for bad memory again but it could be many other things.
!