Random Freezing Issue

Hi there everyone. I built a gaming rig about a month and a half ago. Yesterday I received a first random freeze and then again today I received another.

First here are the specs/external hardware I am using.

CPU: i5-3570k
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Raedon 7970 (Gigabyte)
PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Can find the extra one later on if needed)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 1.35V 1600 2x4GB ram.
Win 7 64bit Home edition.
Monitor: Dell ST2010
Keyboard: Corsair k90
Mouse: Razer Mamba 2012
Logitech C920
USB Network Card: Netgear N900

I think that pretty much sums up just about any part that could be causing the issue

So what happened was that yesterday I went to go and make a quick snack (gone maybe 5 minutes) and came back to my computer being non-responsive (I have all sleep settings off including hard drives). Was forced to reboot it by holding in the power button etc, didn't think to much of it since it was the first time since the build was made (a month and a half ago) that it had ever locked up or frozen on me.

Today during a game of league of legends it froze up on me again forcing me to reboot it once again which gave me the alarm that something might be wrong internally.

I will be actively checking back for any and all answers if anyone can help me pinpoint what the issue might be just let me know any/all tests you want me to run to help evaluate the issue.

I cannot replicate the issue by doing anything and it truly is a sparatic in nature so only time will tell whether or not the issue is fixed.

Virus scan using AVG 2011 Free edition came back with 0 results as well.
17 answers Last reply
More about random freezing issue
  1. Also, I don't believe it is due to overheating or anything. I don't really overclock my machine to much (haven't done enough research into it but bought the K model processor to have that available in the future if I wanted to).

Temps all seemed normal during the stress test I did a few weeks ago to see what the base temps of my machine were (out of curiousity)
  2. It could be a software issue. Perhaps a corrupt registry file, etc...
  3. I wish I could offer you some good advice, but, alas I cannot. I had the exact same problem with a custom CyberPower machine that I bought five years ago. This problem is the herpes of the PC population: it's not fatal, but it will never go away. I tried EVERYTHING: new memory, flashed the BIOS, updated drivers, new PSU, registry fixes, every diagnostic test know to humankind, blah, blah, blah. The problem started a week after getting the computer and never went away. It still does it! There are a lot of other threads about this problem. Almost all of them fail to find a solution. My solution, eventually, was to retire the old machine and get a new one. (The sad thing was, when the computer worked, it worked great.) If there is a solution to this mysterious and seemingly "unfixable" problem, I'd sure love to know it.

Good luck with this, fballboy.
  4. Can you post a screenshot, or at least the exact error message?
  5. go to windows update. install updates if there are any there. reboot machine. what changes?
  6. I had the same exact issue with League of Legends. People thought it was out of date drivers, overheating, etc. but it was not any of that. As odd as this may sound, after disabling any extra sound drivers/devices in the device manager, I never had this issue. I think I crashed once after that but it was no longer league of legends related. Try this and let me know. I had the same issue and know the frustration you are dealing with.
  7. scragnoff said:
    Can you post a screenshot, or at least the exact error message?

Wish I could but there isn't an error message. The computer literally goes into a standstill, no pop ups or anything until I manually reset the power.
  8. p4nz3rm4d said:
    It could be a software issue. Perhaps a corrupt registry file, etc...

Well the only thing I have installed since this has happened was Guild Wars 2. Not sure what other program conflicts could be causing it.
  9. ZippyPeanut said:
    I wish I could offer you some good advice, but, alas I cannot. I had the exact same problem with a custom CyberPower machine that I bought five years ago. This problem is the herpes of the PC population: it's not fatal, but it will never go away. I tried EVERYTHING: new memory, flashed the BIOS, updated drivers, new PSU, registry fixes, every diagnostic test know to humankind, blah, blah, blah. The problem started a week after getting the computer and never went away. It still does it! There are a lot of other threads about this problem. Almost all of them fail to find a solution. My solution, eventually, was to retire the old machine and get a new one. (The sad thing was, when the computer worked, it worked great.) If there is a solution to this mysterious and seemingly "unfixable" problem, I'd sure love to know it.

Good luck with this, fballboy.

Well if I can figure it out I will defiantly let you know. The computer was custom built by me so if anything has happened to cause this problem it was my own doing. It worked perfectly for the entire month its just the last 3 days that it has frozen randomly once every day. I am going to try my hardest to determine the issue.
  10. would be nice to know what you tried so far...???
  11. swifty_morgan said:
    would be nice to know what you tried so far...???

Yea sorry as soon as I was going to reply to your message about the windows update I had an issue occur with my wireless driver and it caused a whole mess of issues (Windows found an update for my wireless driver and upon installing the device stopped working so I had to roll-back)

Anyway. As I said I tried installing the only update available but it caused more issues. Aside from that just the virus scan.
  12. nawit said:
    I had the same exact issue with League of Legends. People thought it was out of date drivers, overheating, etc. but it was not any of that. As odd as this may sound, after disabling any extra sound drivers/devices in the device manager, I never had this issue. I think I crashed once after that but it was no longer league of legends related. Try this and let me know. I had the same issue and know the frustration you are dealing with.

Well I am not sure if its related to league of legends considering the first crash and third crash (it froze over night while I was asleep, no programs except for skype running) league wasn't even up, I think it was just off-chance that it froze during league last night.

Ill take a look at all my sound drivers and devices and disable the ones that im not using (pretty sure I am only using the onboard sound card)

Edit: Just disabled my AMD HD Sound (I believe its my video cards audio). Ill let you know if it works x.x hopefully there are more solutions if that wasnt the issue.
  13. Just so its known, it froze again last night while I was asleep, only thing running was skype and it wasn't actively being used.
  14. uninstall skype. unplug machine at night. possible power surge, anyways, what was the update? or were there more and you decided you didn't need them?

dump the wireless and plug directly into machine..??

possibly bad mobo? yet to be determined.
  15. swifty_morgan said:
    uninstall skype. unplug machine at night. possible power surge, anyways, what was the update? or were there more and you decided you didn't need them?

dump the wireless and plug directly into machine..??

possibly bad mobo? yet to be determined.

The wireless adapter update was the only one available for download (no other updates found) and I am unable to install it, causes the wireless adapter to go undetected and no internet access etc etc.

I have a surge protector so don't think it was a power surge (no power outages recently either), skype is kind of a necessity because its my main communication tool with individuals I do different projects with (for college). Direct connecting the router with ethernet wouldn't be an available option either due to landlord and house modifications (the cable would have to be ran through the basement and up to my room and holes would have to be drilled for the route.

Idk if it would be the mobo just because its been fine for the last month, could it sparatically go bad like this?

Another thing I was thinking about was possibly excess thermal grease leaking into the socket? I would rather like to avoid having to disassemble and check considering how big of a pain it was to get the cooler installed but if it could be causing the issue I can check the socket. Is it possible thats causing it or that some did get into the socket?
  16. Update: Just froze again on me. I had a couple days where it didn't freeze at all everything was going fine and then today I got up for 10 minutes to talk to my niece and play, came back and it was locked up. Powered it off and back on and now im posting this. I had disabled that audio driver but it looks like it wasn't the issue.
  17. I am running into some problems with my graphics card 7970 gigabyte. ON certain games it will freeze and the sounds loops and I need to hard reset. Like this, Its not overheating and no BSOD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtVkhfKArv0

I had tried to switch the PCI-E sockets. No overheating, No bad Memtest.

I have almost the same setup as you do with the same gigbyte card. I was told to up the voltage on the cataylst program and this seems to help it be less frequent. Everyone kept pointing to a bad PSU.

I do believe that this is not the problem as it is a corsair. They also said the voltage may not be enough but it is at +1000w

I then was told it is the audio on the motherboard. This would make sense since the sound will loop before the screen. I think this is a big part of it. I am going out today to buy a new sound card and install. Also, going to disable the onbaord audio. Please stay in touch cause we both don't want crap 400+ graphic cards.

fballboy23 said:
    Update: Just froze again on me. I had a couple days where it didn't freeze at all everything was going fine and then today I got up for 10 minutes to talk to my niece and play, came back and it was locked up. Powered it off and back on and now im posting this. I had disabled that audio driver but it looks like it wasn't the issue.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems