Sign in with
Your question

Need some advice finishing off a build.

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 9:14:23 AM

I am building a desktop PC, its mostly for everyday computing but I also do quite a lot of Photoshop CS6 (more for fun not for seriously heavy editing.)
Here is what I have so far.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H S1155 Intel Z77
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K (I don't plan to overclock as of yet, but for the price difference between the 3570 and the 3570K i thought I may as well go for this one in case its something I ever want to have a play around with)
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 Vengeance Black Performance Desktop Memory
PSU: OCZ Technology 500W CoreXStream Series Power Supply
Case: Gigabyte IF233 Miditower USB 3.0 Midi-Tower Case

I already have a SSD from the system I am upgrading from, as well other HDD and optical drives so have completely left these out of my build and budget as I already have them.

I know this should be a working build, but the fact that I use photoshop and do the odd bit of video editing (sometimes HD) makes me concerned about just using the Intel HD 4000 graphics. I've done some googling and it looks like the HD 4000 should handle photoshop fine unless I chuck some really heavy projects at it.
However for better performance and peace of mind I think I ought to add a dedicated graphics card to the build. The budget for the card is £100 but the cheaper the better. I do absolutely zero gaming so I cannot emphasis enough that I don't game, and never will on this PC.
Any suggestions of GPUs that would help me get better performance when video and photo editing would be highly appreciated.
Other questions:
1) Will 500w be enough for this system, im pretty sure it should be fine but always nice to get clarification.
2) Would the CPUs supplied cooling system be sufficient for what I plan to use it for, we'll say no overclocking at the moment, if I decide to OC i would also look at a better cooling system, so just for this build everyday computing with photoshop/video editing would it be sufficient?
3) Is there anything i've forgotten?

More about : advice finishing build

March 2, 2013 3:22:10 PM

Noob12 said:
First.. Take better PSU. Corsair or seasonic. 500-650w is fine.
If you are not overclocking. Take CPU like intel xeon 1230V2.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1...
Faster than 3570k at same money. It is like i7 for price i5. It is HT cpu.
But you need a video card with this cpu. For video editing or photoshop you need a video card.
Intel 4000 is not enough for any kind of video editing. Take Nvidia 660 or better.
For that budget this GPU was best I find.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n650ti1g...

For MoBo take the Gigabyte X-D3H better connections and so on.

Memory: take low profile memory like gskill ares or corsair LP version because you do not know what CPU cooler you are taking.

I would recommend this Case: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdc...

Thanks for the advice, however I'm not sure if i'm looking in the wrong places but the Xeon CPU that you suggested seems to be more expensive than the 3570k everywhere, and for what I need it for I'm not sure theres a whole lot difference in it. My laptop has a lesser i5 in and is more than sufficient for what I use it for.
How bad is the PSU I selected, I don't really want to spend more than I have to on the PSU and reviews on Amazon for it are very good. Same goes with the case really, don't want to spent more than I have to.
Thanks for GPU advice that looks to be a good choice.
How would this build compare to my laptop, it does everything I want with no problem from a photoshop and video editing side of things, its specs are:
CPU: Core i5-2410M
RAM: 6GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6370M with 1GB Dedicated DDR RAM.

How does my Radeon HD 6370M in the laptop compare to the Intel HD 4000 Graphics?
March 2, 2013 3:47:22 PM

ag50 said:
Thanks for the advice, however I'm not sure if i'm looking in the wrong places but the Xeon CPU that you suggested seems to be more expensive than the 3570k everywhere, and for what I need it for I'm not sure theres a whole lot difference in it. My laptop has a lesser i5 in and is more than sufficient for what I use it for.
How bad is the PSU I selected, I don't really want to spend more than I have to on the PSU and reviews on Amazon for it are very good. Same goes with the case really, don't want to spent more than I have to.
Thanks for GPU advice that looks to be a good choice.
How would this build compare to my laptop, it does everything I want with no problem from a photoshop and video editing side of things, its specs are:
CPU: Core i5-2410M
RAM: 6GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6370M with 1GB Dedicated DDR RAM.

How does my Radeon HD 6370M in the laptop compare to the Intel HD 4000 Graphics?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Here's a good place to start for graphics cards. But the 660 is way overpowered for just minor photoshop fun. If anything, you should just grab a 7750 or 7770 which will allow plenty of power for that. The 7750 i would specifically recommend as it doesn't need separate power connections... it draws enough power from the motherboard PCI slot.

As for the CPU, don't get a Xeon. They are made for server computers, you would do alot better with a consumer grade CPU. If you plan on overclocking eventually, grab a 3570k, but if not, you should be able to settle for a 3570, which performs the same, but doesn't have the overclock capability.

Finally, I generally stay away from OCZ because their quality is sub-par. Look on Newegg and search for PSU's with the best rating. Any Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, NZXT or something like that will do fine.

Also, you don't need a new case if you don't want to. Unless you are running it out of a cardboard box, any case should be fine.

Related resources
March 2, 2013 4:06:10 PM

Dupontrocks11 said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Here's a good place to start for graphics cards. But the 660 is way overpowered for just minor photoshop fun. If anything, you should just grab a 7750 or 7770 which will allow plenty of power for that. The 7750 i would specifically recommend as it doesn't need separate power connections... it draws enough power from the motherboard PCI slot.

As for the CPU, don't get a Xeon. They are made for server computers, you would do alot better with a consumer grade CPU. If you plan on overclocking eventually, grab a 3570k, but if not, you should be able to settle for a 3570, which performs the same, but doesn't have the overclock capability.

Finally, I generally stay away from OCZ because their quality is sub-par. Look on Newegg and search for PSU's with the best rating. Any Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, NZXT or something like that will do fine.

Also, you don't need a new case if you don't want to. Unless you are running it out of a cardboard box, any case should be fine.

Thanks, great advice, I think i'll change my power supply to a Corsair. As for the case, i've actually been running with just a laptop for the past few years so my old desktop case is in a horrendous state so I think I could really do with a new one.
Your choice of GPU seems ideal and right a the price I was wanting. Do you know how the Intel HD 4000 Graphics compare to my laptop GPU, the Radeon HD 6370M. I'm sort of in half minds as to whether to just run with the HD 4000 to start with and see how I get on and add the GPU later if I need it, but if the HD 4000 really is horrendous or worse than my laptops graphics I think i'll add it now.
Thanks for the advice about the Xeon, I felt like the i5 was a better choice. I'm still unsure about overclocking, but the price difference between the 3570k and the z77 and h77 version of the motherboards made me decide to go for them in case it's something I want to have a go at in the near future.
March 2, 2013 4:18:34 PM

Intel HD 4000 is actually a step up according to the hierarchy chart from the 6370. My advice is unless you want to do a bit of gaming (which i'm guessing you will), stick with the Intel graphics. When I was building my first PC, I figured I just stick to PS3, but once you see the computer capabilities, I have a feel you'll want to game ;D.

As for the case it's basically a aesthetics choice. What ever you think looks cool, you should get. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I like this case, but really, it's just my opinion. Take a look on any computer site, and you'll find some cool cases.

As for the CPU, again it's a choice of whether or not you want to put the money/effort in. I bought a 3570k and an ASRock z77 just because I wanted to have a capability to overclock, but if you don't really care about it, the performance between the two chipsets and two processors is negligible at stock.
March 2, 2013 4:53:13 PM

Dupontrocks11 said:
Intel HD 4000 is actually a step up according to the hierarchy chart from the 6370. My advice is unless you want to do a bit of gaming (which i'm guessing you will), stick with the Intel graphics. When I was building my first PC, I figured I just stick to PS3, but once you see the computer capabilities, I have a feel you'll want to game ;D.

As for the case it's basically a aesthetics choice. What ever you think looks cool, you should get. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I like this case, but really, it's just my opinion. Take a look on any computer site, and you'll find some cool cases.

As for the CPU, again it's a choice of whether or not you want to put the money/effort in. I bought a 3570k and an ASRock z77 just because I wanted to have a capability to overclock, but if you don't really care about it, the performance between the two chipsets and two processors is negligible at stock.

Thanks, your advice has been really helpful. My i5 Laptop with the 6370m graphics and my SSD (which I am moving over to the new desktop) has done everything I wanted without hiccup so if the HD 4000 is actually meant to be better than the 6370m then I think that settles it. I'll see how I get on with the HD 4000, for the time being anyway.
As things stand at the moment I highly doubt i'll be gaming, I'm not much of a gamer, I have a PS3 but nowadays its mostly used as a media streamer and Blu ray player haha.
Thanks again for all the advice.
March 2, 2013 5:05:19 PM

You're welcome, and good luck!
!