Wiring my build

Benj14

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
I'm half way through my build now. I have installed all the hardware and I just need to wire them up. This is the most complicated part in my eyes and I need some help from you guys.

My build:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/D2Hz

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£58.92 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£45.86 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.17 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£98.62 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£301.38 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£90.89 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£20.97 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Here are some pictures of my progress so far:
http://imageshack.us/g/1/10040984/

Do I need to connect my Graphics Card to my power supply?
Are there any other wires that need to be attached to my motherboard?
I recieved wires with my graphics card and spare wires with my power supply. Which ones should I connect?

I could figure this out by trial and error but I would rather consult you guys just to make sure I am on the right lines.

Cheers guys.

eyeage

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Ok... here's about as easy as I can make it for you.

What the PSU hooks up to:
MOBO: big 24pin and smaller 8pin (the 8pin is up at the top left, it's 2x4 pin)

GPU: You'll need 2 "6+2" cables, you'll only use the 6pin part and the 2 pin will just hang out to the side

HDD/SDD/Optical Drive: These all use the same connector type. It's a sata power cable, it's kinda wide and skinny, and generally there will be a few of this type of connector on one cord (each a few inches from one another). You'll probably use one for the SSD and HDD, and another for the optical drive.

That's all for the power supply....

Next!

What connects to the MOBO:

Sata cables. The Asrock extreme4 has 4 sata3 inputs (they're the grey inputs on the bottom right). 1 of them disables the back one (read the manual, but I believe it's A0). You'll want to use the other three to connect the three drives. Make sure you use 6gb/s (sata3) cables .

Fans: The CPU cooler goes into the CPU fan slot. The other case fans plug into the "fan" slots. Doesn't matter much which they go into. I put the back fan to the top header, and the rest into the bottom headers.

Audio: There's an audio clip that goes into the "audio" port on the bottom left of the board.

USB: There'll be 2 types of these. A big boxy blue one that is hard to miss, and the rest are USB 2.0. These are clearly labeled at the bottom of the board. They're easy to tell where they go.

Power: Power indicators/buttons/reset are the tiny little ones. Look closely at the manual. The black wire is the negative, while the colored is the + or #. They are a little goofy, so pay close attention to where these go (it'll seem like they're not lined up right, because they kinda aren't).

That's it... that's all you have to connect. Take your time and plan the routes to ensure proper cable management.