Asus PCE-N15 Periodic Connection Drops/Slow Downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebt

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
As the title says, I'm experiencing difficulties with this product in the form of connection drops and/or slow downs. I'm on the verge of RMA'ing this product however I have second thoughts whenever it starts to perform well.

So I'll start from the beginning:

1. Downloaded and installed latest drivers on Asus' site.

2. Installed the wifi card into the pci-e slot.

3. Drivers downloaded were horrid and did not work at all, uninstalled, then installed defaults from the CD

4. Managed to connect to my wireless home connection with success, being able to browse the internet and game, however I received seemingly random disconnects and slowdowns.

5. Got fed up, and contacted Asus support, they informed me of some steps to take to see if the card is faulty. Upon receiving this information, I downloaded and installed realteks driver RTL8192CE-VA4... I never downloaded the 802.11b/g/n driver for OmniPeek tool (support WinXP/Vista/Win7 OmniPeek v6.0 and later version), as I assumed this wasn't necessary. However I did use the "Windows driver auto installation program." I also updated my bios, internet security and os drivers, and tried deactivating my internet security to see if this was the problem, it wasn't. I even attempted a new pci-e slot, upon which my computer did not boot, or somehow did not get video signal to the monitor. (I could have easily plugged it into a wrong spot, but w/e). After these steps, the card works a bit better, but I have still been getting drops or slow downs.

6. I now have the option to RMA this product, however I believe I've noticed a pattern in my disconnections, and this leads me to believe that it is not the cards fault. Roughly around the time one of my family members gets home, my connection seems to either slow down or drop out all together. After this continuously happens, I finally put two and two together. It seems as though whenever this person uses the internet, facebook, online banking ect, my internet drops or slows down, and cannot find the SSID. The computer that he uses would be considered the "host" computer, as the router is directly connected to it.

So, my question is; Is it possible for this computer to be hogging the bandwidth to prevent my ability to surf the web, game, or in the rare instance, cause my internet to fully disconnect from my wireless home network, and possibly even not detect my wireless home network SSID for a brief amount of time. This is weird, as it has no problem detecting select other ones, that I am not able to connect to.

Any opinions?

P.S. I've also tried turning off the option in the driver settings that prevents the computer from turning off the card to save power.

P.P.S. I've also tried connecting to the internet on my phone while this person is using the internet on his computer. It works fine.

brucewf

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hi Jebt,
I have a ASUS PC that is slow to connect to the WiFi. It is intermittant so it is making it hard to locate the issue and as it was just repaired my wife thinks its hardware.(She uses the PC the most and said it was not like this before repair) The issue is it takes half a minute to connect but at other times is instant. However there are multiple variables which are making this hard to diagnose and that it does get a connection means WiFi is working and whilst annoying is not such an inconvience.
I know if the microwave is on this interfers with all the PCs and TV. (But that is not on) I also noticed my daughters new Nintendo3D when it was internet enabled was the cause of the acute WiFi Modem lockup, I have now disabled this but it might be looking for WiFi connections when firsted turned on and adding to the issue.(I will investigate this more and replicate the issue when I feel bored)

Does you family member have a Ninetendo3D internet enabled? If so maybe we are to a common tread here?

Cheers Bruce

oli96

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013

I have the same problem as both of you. I have no one using a Nintendo3D in the house and no appliances are turned on. I have the Wireless adapter now for 6 months after I got frustrated and got a 20M Ethernet Cable for a wired connection. However I have a new ISP and the modem is too far away for me to use a wired connection. So for this I am forced to revert to the PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter. It doesn't work at all. There is either a constant slow internet speed where I am unable to load a YouTube video in 240p! I will defiantly be using the 3 year warranty which came with this and getting my money back.
Also a note for anyone else reading this. I am also unable to connect to the internet while using Google Chrome. I have to use Firefox. I have also had to disable IPv6 so I am able to connect to the internet at all and disable parts of my anti virus software. Non of which I had to do with a wired connection.
For me It's time ot find out if you can get a 40M Ethernet cable.

For me It's time to find out if you can get a 40M Ethernet cable.

You certainly can - buy a reel of cable and a couple of jacks to put on each end. I don't understand why you have wireless problems - I managed a hundred yards under a basic Belkin (think it might have been a 7650) when wireless first became available. It's time to close this ageing thread now but please start a new one if you continue to have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS