New PC Build. Suggestions?

JMG1990

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hey all,

I’m building a new gaming PC and wanted to get your thoughts. If you wouldn’t mind giving some advice and/or suggestions, I’d appreciate it.

Parts are as follows:

mobo- msi z77 mpower
gpu- evga gtx 670 ftw
cpu- i5-3570k
ram- corsair vengeance 8gb (4gb x2)
psu- ultra lsp 750w
case- cooler master 922
hd- wd 1tb 7200 rpm
drive- asus dvdr 32x

Solution
Hi JMG1990!

If you're not planning on getting another video card and running it in SLI in the future, you should get a ~500 psu, preferrably one manufactured by a trusted psu manufacturer like SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec.

I also suggest adding an SSD to your build. This will greatly improve system performance, especially if you make it your boot drive and place into it your most commonly used applications, and a few of your favorite games. I suggest a capacity of 120 GB or more.

Hazzacanary

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
looks ok, but I do have a couple of suggestions:

1) I haven't heard of that PSU manufacturer before. Buy xfx, seasonic, corsair or antec to be safe, as a dodgy psu can have grave consequences!
2) the optical drive - do you really need that much? most people barely use theirs, and these days, games don't really use the disc heavily at all.
3) with a z77 board and a "k" processor, I'm guessing you want to overclock? make sure to pick up a coolermaster hyper 212 evo as well then, to keep it cool.

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi JMG1990!

If you're not planning on getting another video card and running it in SLI in the future, you should get a ~500 psu, preferrably one manufactured by a trusted psu manufacturer like SeaSonic, XFX, or Antec.

I also suggest adding an SSD to your build. This will greatly improve system performance, especially if you make it your boot drive and place into it your most commonly used applications, and a few of your favorite games. I suggest a capacity of 120 GB or more.

Solution

JMG1990

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

I did buy a cooler master 212 the other day which i forgot to include in the list as I do plan on overclocking.

You think a 500w is enough? I'll most likely go with a 600W w. modular cabling if i can find one for a smilar price to the lsp750w (there selling for ~$70 last time I checked).

Perhaps the corsair cx600m? ~$10 more - but may be worth it.

For a ssd - you think the Intel X25-M 160gb is a good choice? There on sale right now at tigerdirect.ca.ou

Hazzacanary

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

It's definitely worth it! Better than saving $10 and then your power supply blowing up and taking your system with it...