Sign in with
Your question

Second GPU for 3-4 Monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2013 10:40:06 AM

Hi,

So I've had dual monitors for about 5 years now and I'm starting to consider the possibility that I require a 3rd and maybe in time a 4th. My current GPU the 560ti only supports 2 outputs. I was wondering, is it possible to have another card in my second PCI slot just for display? I don't want SLI or PhysX but I want the ability to have more monitors. If this is possible does it still throttle the other card the way PhysX does?

Also if this does work what cards would you recommend for a good price. I do wonder about how drivers would work with this so its probably not possible but if anyone does know then please let me know so I can make a new investment.

Thanks

plasma

More about : gpu monitors

January 12, 2013 10:42:12 AM

Just upgrade to a GTX 6xx or HD 7xxx series card - they pretty much all support 4 monitors on one card.
a c 201 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2013 10:46:36 AM

if your system is newer and has the intel or amd ipgpu built into the mb you can turn the intel port on and get two more ports out of the onboard cpu video chipsets. if not you can drop in a pci card in one of the pci slots for video. as your not running sli they dont have to be matched cards.
Related resources
January 12, 2013 10:50:06 AM

I don't want to upgrade to a new card. Stupidly I bought my 560ti literally 4 days before the 660ti was released. Because my old card broke and I want a replacement instantly and couldn't be without my machine for a week. And no my rig is first generation i5 with a very basic mobo of that time.
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2013 10:53:27 AM

You can. But you won't be able to treat all 3 or 4 monitor as one like you could with eyefinity/surround.

On the bright side you can gram another 560TI and SLI them. You can then run four DVI monitors as one. 2D surround is what Nvidia calls it I believe. Yes you'll need a new motherboard but beats buying a new $200+ card right?
January 12, 2013 10:53:36 AM

smorizio said:
if your system is newer and has the intel or amd ipgpu built into the mb you can turn the intel port on and get two more ports out of the onboard cpu video chipsets. if not you can drop in a pci card in one of the pci slots for video. as your not running sli they dont have to be matched cards.

So does it throttle, do i need drivers or what? So can I just drop a 9800 in there and it'll work fine?
January 12, 2013 10:55:17 AM

4745454b said:
You can. But you won't be able to treat all 3 or 4 monitor as one like you could with eyefinity/surround.

On the bright side you can gram another 560TI and SLI them. You can then run four DVI monitors as one. 2D surround is what Nvidia calls it I believe. Yes you'll need a new motherboard but beats buying a new $200+ card right?

Or he could just sell the 560ti and get a 660 or something for less money and less hassle... ;) 
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 13, 2013 2:02:42 AM

Or that.

Quote:
So does it throttle, do i need drivers or what? So can I just drop a 9800 in there and it'll work fine?

Read my above post. It should work, but they won't act as one. Hence nothing is "throttled" as they aren't working together.
!