onelionatplay

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
am i missing something , i dont claim to be a tech guy ....i've always been the guy that just brought nice gaming pcs , atm ive a slightly out dated alienware , a very nice (dont laugh) acer laptop , and a nice hp laptop. only the hp ever sees the internet, the other 2 are strickly gaming machines and other then updating drivers etc etc or entering some of the variuos and often old school games i play ...daoc , never go online . so i've decided to build my first pc . keep in mind in not trying to creat an A.I, I've absolutely no interest in multi-tasking ...ffs i've 3 other computers if i wanna do something else i'll turn one of them on . So anyway to the point , i've purchased some of the less costly items a nice rosewell blackhawk case has 5 fans , 16 gig of kingston black hyperx ddr3 1600 ram , a nice seagate barracuda 1tb hhd and a pretty run of the mill asus O.D. . i didnt need a 1tb hhd , but was priced nicely so i bought it , i dont store music or movies i buy it and put it on a very nice bookshelf. So keeping in mind my seemingly basic needs and remaining pieces. I did some research and determined that i could do well save some money and pick up an AMD fx-4300 and run 2 average vidcards that btw BM close to most of the single high dollar vidcards for much less cash . Yet ive been met with nothing but a frown when discussing my build plans with other ...here irl etc etc . So either i'm missing the boat or i'm just smarter then i think , Are bms (benchmarks) not valid ? And what could possibly be wrong with an FX-4300 cpu ...ffs its stock 3.8 unlocked people are running it well over 4.0 its reveiws are great and it cost less then half of the higher dollar cpus ...that btw dont seem to be any faster . So am i an idiot or am i surrounded by idiots . If/when you respond to this keep in mind my needs from a pc I dont need HAL , i'm not trying to figure out the worlds issues while i game and watch a movie listening to youtube ...i'm just trying looking for good play and bang for the buck

Solution
Yeah the mobo is important for durability quality and flexability and having the options you are looking for such as good lan control # of pci slots ,usb 2.0,3.0, connectivity,# of ram slots,easy bios etc.etc...
The cpu has its own obvious value.
Power supplys are tricky. Your best quality,value,stable current, can be found in brands like seasonic,antec,Corsair(stear clear of the cx,or Builder series),xfx,pc power& cooling. They are my faves.
Never underestimate the gpu tho. It is really one of the most important components if you want to max your games.
Good luck to you and don't forget to select a best answer when you feel comfortable that you have gotten it!

P.s. You are correct that certain components are easily changeable...

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Mostly others will try to set you up for future proofing as best as possible. No one likes to suggest older components when there are newer and better available for not that much more.
It would help things along to know exactly which games you are hoping to play and what your budget is. If you can answer those two things I may be able to advise a cpu,mobo,gpu combo that will suffice.

onelionatplay

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013

Well atm I'm only playing Dark age of camelot ...still :) but its those types of games that garner my interest , rift , gw2 , daoc etc and future mmos. I know i'm missing something in my search for parts but i cant find it , the numbers speak for themself. , also you should know i do plan on spending the money on a topshelf mobo was considering a sabortooth z77, with plans of someday if needed replacing my 120.00 fx-4300, also im looking at top quality psu corsair hx750 80/gold , moneys not a problem , im not in a hurry i can buy 1 pc. a month if needed my alien still runs strong . i just wanna build a pc

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Ok Sabertooth is over rated. The heatsink is more in the way than it helps and actually seems to hold heat in. If you want a really good mobo from asus , I suggest the following.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131830

I have this one but you may not want to spend this much on just a mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131854

You could also go cheaper and go with this great mobo by Asrock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293
It has some great features and will work as well as the asus boards,with a lesser warranty.

I would go with a cpu like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116781

Last but not least, a gpu like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130827

There are allot better cards out there and if you are interested in the newer games at all I would suggest this instead...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130809

Let me know if this all seems overkill to you,cause You can also build with lesser components...

onelionatplay

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
i just dont understand why a slower more exspensive cpu is better , i like the mobo info tho , the way i see it you build off your mobo , you need a great mobo ,psu and air flow , everything else comes after that . I'm not sold on either card ...ive not rated them yet tho , only looked at the newegg reviews . obviously the 660 ti is a nice card , but i'd still be intersted in seeing how it compares to an sli /crossfire config for less ...that beng said its a dandy i know . also tyvvvm for your time and thoughts . if you could possibly explain what i'm missing in the cpus that be great ...i see an amd that can run up to 5.0 has awesome reviews as per newegg , that cost 120.00 , you suggest an intel that turbos out at 3.2 and cost more ...why is it better ?

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I just always liked going with intel over amd. Lots of folks like the underdog but I am not one of those... The best is just the best and intel is quite a few steps ahead of amd.
If you are looking for the best gaming cpu, I would suggest the i5 3570k which would work well with any of the boards I listed.
The reason I listed a lesser cpu is because you sounded like you didn't need as powerful of a system.
You could also go with the 500 series gpu like gtx 560ti-thru 590 and get great results
The 600 series is just the new guy on the block and will perform better.

A higher cpu clock rate will not guarantee any better performance. Even the highest clock rates have shown only marginal improvement in gameplay. It seems to me that all of the overclocking is more for bragging rights than performance.
I have a pretty powerful rig, and have seen no diff in game play from stock to 4.6g O.C.

onelionatplay

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
right on well i've no shame showing my ignorance on the matter of cpu, i suppose im fairly linear on the matter ..bigger, faster , better . that line of thought could well lead down the wrong path . i've been very satisfied purchasing items from newegg , following the reviews from customers , i actually bought an acer laptop which in my ipinion prepurchase was fairly ghetto , but the money was great and the reviews were off the charts 100% satisfaction . i use it more then my mine pc an alienware lol. understand the game i most often play is daoc and doesnt require a powerful system . my build is a toy , probly more joy in doing then the finished product . I do follow streams of info tho and research BMs ....i'm a little dated myself but only getting better :) tyvm for your time and assistance

onelionatplay

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I would add one further comment , i agree bragging rights seems to be the rule of the day , cpu/gpu/ram all easily changeable components . I think i'll go with my gut instinct i'll bet my money on topshelf mobos, psu , and tons of airflow , everything else pops out with the next best most practical bang for the buck deal the equation based on need not looks

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Yeah the mobo is important for durability quality and flexability and having the options you are looking for such as good lan control # of pci slots ,usb 2.0,3.0, connectivity,# of ram slots,easy bios etc.etc...
The cpu has its own obvious value.
Power supplys are tricky. Your best quality,value,stable current, can be found in brands like seasonic,antec,Corsair(stear clear of the cx,or Builder series),xfx,pc power& cooling. They are my faves.
Never underestimate the gpu tho. It is really one of the most important components if you want to max your games.
Good luck to you and don't forget to select a best answer when you feel comfortable that you have gotten it!

P.s. You are correct that certain components are easily changeable, however, they can also get pretty expensive to keep replacing. It is a good choice to try and figure exactly what you think you need and then overkill a little to be sure...

Solution