Graphics driver BSOD on new build

mikeyfreedom

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Oh boy. Finally built my new system yesterday, save for old hard drives which I took out of the old unit. Spent 14 hours attempting to safely assemble it but no dice as every time I install the ATI drivers, I get BSOD on restart, pointing to Atikmdag.sys - Sequence of events thus far:

Install 1 - didn't clean install, tried original vista install from old unit. Bad idea.

Install 2 - clean install on drive, installed ATi drivers from disc. Blue screen Stop 05 on Atikmdag.sys.

Install 3 - clean installed again. Installed mobo drivers first. Then ATi drivers(no control centre) - Same BSOD on startup(just before it gets to welcome screen)

Install 4 - once more for luck. Installed mobo drivers first. Hooked it to the network and ran windows update(120 updates). Downloaded latest ati driver - BSOD. Booted into safe mode and ran drivesweeper to clear the ati stuff. System boots and is asking for video card controller(VGA compatible).

I'm not sure what else to do. I assume it is either a RAM, MOBO or GPU issue. I can't believe it's a driver issue or ATI would be out of business right now. I'm thinking my next course of action is to try each ram stick separately, run it through memtest and then see if the drivers will install. Any insight on this would be sorely appreciated. The way it reads on the net this is an old problem that I naively assumed would have been sorted by now.

mikeyfreedom

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Forgot to post my spec:

XFX 650w 80+ core edition psu
XFX 7870 DD Core Edition
I7-3770K
ASRock extreme4 mobo
16gb blue LP vengeance RAM

I also after the first reinstall attempt, pulled all but one of the drives, left a 1tb western digital drive in.

mikeyfreedom

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Boots up fine. On startup it asks for a video card controller(VGA Compatible) driver, but apart from that it seems to be fine. Installed chrome just so I didn't have to use IE while trying to troubleshoot. Not really did anything with it yet extensively.

on a new build there few steps to rule out bad hardware or a bad set up. first make sure the mb bios has all of the bug fixes installed. make sure xmp profile is on to let your ram run at it max settings. in the bios for now set the main primany video output to ipgpu and turn on muilt monitor support most times it the next line under primany video output. boot into windows and check that you did not install the mvp software that bonds the ipgpu to the gpu..this software is buggy. (Lucid Virtu Universal MVP software). make sure you install the newest intel chipset drivers...then reboot. then install the 3 gen ipgpu drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000%2f2500&ProdId=3498&LineId=1100&FamilyId=39

install the newest ipgpu drivers then reboot. go back into device manager make sure there no yellow ! for missing drivers. if your good then install the ati driver and then reboot and see if there any issue.

mikeyfreedom

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will give it another go tonight. Sorely tempted to go get myself a windows 7/8 upgrade box after work though....

mikeyfreedom

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Story so far...found out that the onboard graphics aren't supported by Vista so I disabled them. Swept the AMD drivers again. This time when I booted up it gave me a code 19
Error for the card, saying the registry was corrupted. Trying uninstall/ reinstall.

mikeyfreedom

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Bit the bullet and bought Windows 7. Was going to anyway, just moved up the schedule. After all the installs, wouldn't recognise the card. Tried an older card and it recognised it straight away. I think the card's faulty. Sent for an RMA for the card and hopefully have some better luck next time.