Closed Solved

Graphics Card Dilemma

Hey all,

I sitting with a bit of a problem. I'm building up a computer and now it has come down to the final component, the graphics card.

I have been doing research across the net, reading up about the best and the not so great cards out there but now I'm getting confused.
You see, I live in South Africa and being a 3rd world country prices are naturally outlandish because our president is too busy spending millions upgrading his stadium sized house. :non:

Ok so my budget is roughly 2900 ZAR ("ZAR" meaning South African Rands, our currency) which is about $332.00 dollars.
Can anyone set me in the right direction as to what graphics cards are out there on my tight budget??

I was looking at the MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660, is this a good card? Its going for 2799 ZAR.

OR

Are there cards better than that for the same price?

I know its difficult for you guys to give me accurate answers because you dont know of the availability of graphics cards here but if you can suggest cards on my budget I can see if I can get it.


Any help will be swell. :)


(Side Note)
These are the parts I have so far:

Gigabyte Z77 D3H Motherboard
Intel i5 3570K Processor
2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance RAM (8gb)
Solidata 120gb SSD
Raidmax RX-730SS Power Supply
Raidmax Aeolus VL Chassis
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card dilemma
  1. The only problem with the 660 cards is their low bandwidth memory buss. Equivalent AMD cards like the 7850 have a better memory buss and generally better overclocking ability.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
  2. Best answer
    RocketManSR3 said:
    Hey all,

    I sitting with a bit of a problem. I'm building up a computer and now it has come down to the final component, the graphics card.

    I have been doing research across the net, reading up about the best and the not so great cards out there but now I'm getting confused.
    You see, I live in South Africa and being a 3rd world country prices are naturally outlandish because our president is too busy spending millions upgrading his stadium sized house. :non:

    Ok so my budget is roughly 2900 ZAR ("ZAR" meaning South African Rands, our currency) which is about $332.00 dollars.
    Can anyone set me in the right direction as to what graphics cards are out there on my tight budget??

    I was looking at the MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660, is this a good card? Its going for 2799 ZAR.

    OR

    Are there cards better than that for the same price?

    I know its difficult for you guys to give me accurate answers because you dont know of the availability of graphics cards here but if you can suggest cards on my budget I can see if I can get it.


    Any help will be swell. :)


    (Side Note)
    These are the parts I have so far:

    Gigabyte Z77 D3H Motherboard
    Intel i5 3570K Processor
    2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance RAM (8gb)
    Solidata 120gb SSD
    Raidmax RX-730SS Power Supply
    Raidmax Aeolus VL Chassis


    the gtx 660 is very good but for youre budget you cold get an amd hd 7950 3gb ( MY CHOICE)

    especially the GIGABYTE overclocked edition with 3 fans ( a good cooling solution)

    here take a look http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814125414&gclid=CKjXz9qT47QCFc6V3godLiwATA
  3. zdbc13 said:
    The only problem with the 660 cards is their low bandwidth memory buss. Equivalent AMD cards like the 7850 have a better memory buss and generally better overclocking ability.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html


    Thank you for the link, gona go check it out now :)
  4. ultrakill said:
    the gtx 660 is very good but for youre budget you cold get an amd hd 7950 3gb ( MY CHOICE)

    especially the GIGABYTE overclocked edition with 3 fans ( a good cooling solution)

    here take a look http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125414&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814125414&gclid=CKjXz9qT47QCFc6V3godLiwATA


    Thanks Ultrakill, followed the link and Im impressed.
    Will check out the hd 7950 for sure! :D
  5. Best answer selected by RocketManSR3.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product