Sign in with
Your question

Switch between onboard and dedicated GPU on AMD?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2013 1:10:35 PM

After my ATI HD4870 died I need some kind of replacement. I'm kinda happy really, the fan on that thing drove me batshit crazy, even on the lowest voltage setting.
Anway I have a mainboard with the AMD 880G chipset whith an integrated HD4250 GPU (The Asus M4A88TM). I though the Hybrid crossfire would let me switch between the dedicated and the onboard graphics, but no such luck.

Are there any cards that will do this? My thinking was that I'll be able to power the dedicated card down in regular use and enjoy the blissful silence, then fire it up when I need 3D performance. Or would I be better to just aim for some mid-range GPU and hope it isn't too loud when it's not doing any 3D? I don't really play games that often so a silent PC is pretty important to me. (it also doubles as a HTPC for my TV, so I can't have it making too much noise)
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 1:41:17 PM

The only "hybrid crossfire" is for the new AMD APUs like the a8 and a10. Your chipset will not support it. Just get a good graphics card and don't use on-board. There are fanless graphics cards that don't make any noise. Of course, they won't be the powerful ones.
January 12, 2013 2:18:01 PM

That's kinda of what I was thinking. It wouldn't have to be completely fanless, just on the level of the other components. Surely it can't be that difficult. Stock CPU fans get a bad rep, but they're way better than the graphics cards I've had.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 4:25:41 PM

I'd recommend an HD 7850 if you have a 6 pin pcie power connector and goog 500w power supply. Otherwise a 7770. With correct settings they will be very quiet.
a c 91 U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 5:42:05 PM

the upgrade would depend on everything else in your system......... list hardware, include PS and what opsys you are running.

hybrid crossfire, back when "that" hybrid crossfire was new, it was made for the on board and a low end card, NOT the one you chose (4870).
a c 355 U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 5:57:18 PM

ikognito said:

I don't really play games that often so a silent PC is pretty important to me. (it also doubles as a HTPC for my TV, so I can't have it making too much noise)

If you do not play games very often, and you found the performance of the Radeon HD 4870 to be adequate enough for the games you were playing, then consider the Radeon HD 7750. It is basically equal to the Radeon HD 5770 / HD 6770 (same card, different names) which are equal to the Radeon HD 4870. The HD 7750 uses a lot less power; about 43w peak consumption vs. around 120w of the Radeon HD 4870. When simply idling, the HD 7750 consumes 7w while the HD 4870 consumes 75w.

You can read about the performance and power consumption of the Radeon HD 7750 in the following thread.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7750_iCooler/

The following review of the Radeon HD 5770 compares performance to the Radeon HD 4850 and HD 4890, but the HD 4870 is not included. However, power consumption for the HD 4870 is included.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/

Newegg.com currently has 3 fanless Radeon HD 7750 ranging between $100 - $110.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
a c 91 U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 6:07:18 PM

amd 6650/6670
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 6:39:24 PM

Come on, guys. He had a HD4870 which ruled the roost back in the day. I think a 7850 would give him the fire he's used to. If you can afford it, that is....
January 12, 2013 7:16:27 PM

ikognito said:
After my ATI HD4870 died I need some kind of replacement. I'm kinda happy really, the fan on that thing drove me batshit crazy, even on the lowest voltage setting.
Anway I have a mainboard with the AMD 880G chipset whith an integrated HD4250 GPU (The Asus M4A88TM). I though the Hybrid crossfire would let me switch between the dedicated and the onboard graphics, but no such luck.

Are there any cards that will do this? My thinking was that I'll be able to power the dedicated card down in regular use and enjoy the blissful silence, then fire it up when I need 3D performance. Or would I be better to just aim for some mid-range GPU and hope it isn't too loud when it's not doing any 3D? I don't really play games that often so a silent PC is pretty important to me. (it also doubles as a HTPC for my TV, so I can't have it making too much noise)

As long as you get a card with a good cooling system on it you should be fine. For example I have a ASUS Radeon HD 6850. My CPU fan is louder than this card when just web browsing etc. I can only really hear the fan kick up when I'm gaming. My suggestion would be to get any brand of 7850 with a good cooler on it and under volt the card a little. Try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004&Tpk=SAPPHIRE%20100355-1GOCL
January 12, 2013 10:41:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. TBH I think the Powercolor card just wasn't up to scratch. 70 Watts in idle does sound kinda ridiculous though, lol.

Funnily enough it's not the 4870's power I was interested in. I bought it used years later for cheap. Guess I was kinda asking for trouble. Something that's got the same performance without the power consumption sounds pretty ideal, so I think I'll just go with the 7750,
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 11:45:26 AM

Fine choice. I still have a 4870 in one of my family's PCs and loved it. You're going to like the 7750. Have fun.
May 2, 2013 10:20:05 PM

ikognito said:

the ati hybrid uses the pciex for intensive 3d rendering and automatically switches to the IGP for 2d so it extends the life of your pciex card.........that's how hybrid works when enabled don't confuse it with crossfire!!!!!!!
!