Solid build? need watercooling ? thinking of using nzxt phantom case.

daviddawn

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
hi all, im looking to build a new pc on a £1300 ($2200) budget, the main uses are: computer programming, video and image editing, gaming.

components:

case: nzxt phantom
mobo: asus p8z68 v-pro/gen3
psu: corsair 750w or any other decent one
cpu: i5 2500k
gpu: sapphire 6970 2gb
ram: g.skill ripjaws 8gb (2 x 4gb) 1600mhz
hdd: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB WD2002FAEX
ssd: Kingston HyperX SSD 120 GB
opt drive: any good one including db writing

im also interested in water cooling the system as i intend to overclock the cpu by 30%

components for water cooling:

cpu block: ek supreme hf
gpu block: ek vga supreme hf
pump: mcp355
res: one to fit pump( suggestions welcome)
rads: rx360 or rx240 (not too sure if the case is suitable for water cooling as im not sure how many rads will fit in the case and sizes)
tubing: primochill
barbs or compression fittings yet to decide.

so, do you think i need water cooling? if so, is my case suitable ? please Critique and advise where needed, thanks in advance. :D

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Honestly the Phantom might be a little hard, I'd personally recommend a 360 rad for that setup as a minimum, and fitting a 360 is hard, but here's a build log where the guy put a 360 up top and a 240 on the bottom with a bit of modding (360 and a 220 would be great for you if you're looking to really lower temps)

If you wanted a different case the HAF X or 932 are common choices for watercooling.

daviddawn

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
yes after doing a lot of reading i have accumulated all the best performing components that will give you the best bang for buck, however the only trouble im having is to weather i need a different case to water cool or could i get away with air cooling the system whilst still overclocking my cpu by 30% ??? if it is water cooling i require could i get away with 2 x rx240 in the system?

daviddawn

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

do you have experience with this case ? is the air flow not great ? if its not good for water cooling or air cooling and purely for looks then i will avoid it.

thanks rubix.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
No, but that is my question- I personally do not know how it does for airflow or not, but often people choose a case purely on looks without researching airflow or expansion (let alone a watercooling loop) and end up disappointed when that time comes. However, for what you are wanting to do, you don't necessarily need to watercool your CPU to reach those overclocks unless you simply want to watercool because you want to.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah, just look for some user reviews via Google if you can. I rarely take comments on Newegg seriously; there are so many people out there that are absolutely clueless what 'good' should be and provide poor feedback simply due to their ignorance.

Good luck- just make sure you get what you want and what you need since you'll likely be using it for a decent amount of time.