RiRoxX

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Allright, so i'm about to buy the hd 6670 for my old hp pc, (specs below) but, i'm kinda afraid that it will bottleneck something and i wont get the full performance..
So the main reason i'm upgrading is because i can only play the old games, expect for mw3, but i'd like to run minecraft maxed out, with atleast 40+ and i'd also like to just play some newer games, like bo2 not at max ofc, but i'd just be happy to play it. So anyways, let's get started:

Note: My screen resulotion is 1280x1024 and i will get a new pc in around 4 months, so i dont want to upgrade the psu, to get a higher end card and such...

Cpu: Amd Phenom 8600 triple-core processor 2.3 ghz
Gpu: ati radeon 3600 series
Ram: 4 gb ddr2 (i have 32 bit windows, so it can only use 3.5 gb)
Mother board: PAsus M2N68-LA narra3
Psu: 300w +12v /19a
Windows vista home premium 32 bit.

So will any of this bottleneck? Will i lose alot of performance so the card is not worth it? If so should i just buy a even more lower end card, and just use that?

Thanks!

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
You will see a nice performance jump with that card and you shouldn’t see any real bottlenecking.

I would spend the extra $70 for a PCIe 3.0 compatible card and then upgrade your motherboard to a 970. Your CPU will still work on that chipset. You will have to upgrade to DDR3 at that time as well. Then finally a good new 32nm processor.

Sorry, posted too fast, that’s a Phenom I, not a Phenom II. You will have to upgrade CPU, RAM and motherboard all at the same time. Put even the new cards should run on a PCIe 2.0 slot

AMD boards do not even support pcie 3.0 and it is not needed yet anyway. The card will do fine and your res is really low. Everything bottle necks somewhere but I wouldn't go lower on the card.

With the 6670 you COULD build a lower cost APU based machine when you get a new PC and crossfire the 6670 with it something to look into when it gets to that point, since you'll already have the card

RiRoxX

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks! But i really dont want to spend more money on this machine, because in around 4 months i'm going to get a new Pc. But how well do you think it will handle games like, minecraft, bo2, skyrim etc.? And i'm mostly going to use it for minecraft, so du you think i can go a little lower and buy a even cheaper card?

RiRoxX

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks for the reply ;) When i'm going to buy a new pc, i dont think i wanna use this card. I'll proberly just keep it in this machine and keep it or, give it away to a friend, my mother or dad. But the only thing i'm going to play is minecraft, and if i get around it bo2. So there is no other card i can go a little cheaper with?

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
Yea the OP doesn't want to spend money, thats why hes keeping the old system. You need a new power supply though. AMD recommends a 400w psu to run the card. The 300w psu might work, but you are pushing it to the limits. Plus its old so its less efficient. I wouldn't risk it. If you are getting a new power supply, get the radeon 7770 instead. It's more expensive but you will see a good jump in performance. Plus, you can transfer it over to your new computer when you get it.

RiRoxX

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thanks for the reply.. ;)

I did plan on doing that, but i've never buildt a computer before, so when i'm going to get a new pc it's my first time.
And i dont have enough money for the 7770/6670 and a new psu. I've read online that my psu should be enough. Thats also a reason why i'd ask if there is a lower end card, that would be able to run minecraft with 40-50 fps at all times, and be able to play, games like bo2 at 1280x1024 at low - medium settings while still be able to be at 30 fps.. I dont know if this is possible but i'm searching around online, to gather some info about it.

*EDIT*
Will the hd 6670 pcie 2.1 work in my pcie 1.0a? I've heard its a 50/50 chance?