I get a short beep and 5 long beeps...no display, no boot.

I've just built a new system.
I have a Zotac z77 itx mobo with an i5-3570k cpu. My ram is Corsair Vengeance 16gb, 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24. 600 watt psu.

I get a short beep and 5 long beeps...no display, no boot.

I'm about to return the CPU and/or mobo. Any other ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about short beep long beeps display boot
  1. Generally means RAM or CPU is having a problem. Reseat CPU, remove/disconnect everything else but one stick of RAM.
  2. Did you look at your motherboard manual to see what these beeps mean?

Tell us what you find from your manual. Then we can help you with the problem.
  3. The manual doesn't list beep codes. Their website doesn't either. I tried reseating everything and disconnected everything but cpu and ram...no luck.
  4. Are you sure it doesnt? Because the beeps mean something. The manual should say. Might want to double check.
  5. There is no trouble shooting section in the manual. But i can see from the images in the manual that it used the american megatrends bios.
  6. Well tech support should be able to diagnose it. If they don't know what the beeps mean, then I wouldn't want anything to do with that company.
  7. twelve25 said:
    Well tech support should be able to diagnose it. If they don't know what the beeps mean, then I wouldn't want anything to do with that company.

Its been 3 days of waiting for a response...
  8. Have you tried running through general troubleshooting?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
    Following those steps will narrow down potential dead parts, or fix the problem outright if its something simple like user error or a grounding issue.

If you get through all the steps and it doesn't work, you can be reasonably sure either the CPU or motherboard is broke.
  9. shanemcguffinjr said:
    Its been 3 days of waiting for a response...

I'd just return the motherboard, man. That's 3 strikes (not POSTing, no troubleshooting info, and no support). If you tried 1 stick of RAM at a time, that's not it, so you are down to CPU or MB and it's pretty rare to get a bad CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Boot CPUs Systems Displays