Sign in with
Your question

I get a short beep and 5 long beeps...no display, no boot.

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 4:33:52 PM

I've just built a new system.
I have a Zotac z77 itx mobo with an i5-3570k cpu. My ram is Corsair Vengeance 16gb, 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24. 600 watt psu.

I get a short beep and 5 long beeps...no display, no boot.

I'm about to return the CPU and/or mobo. Any other ideas?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2013 4:45:10 PM

Generally means RAM or CPU is having a problem. Reseat CPU, remove/disconnect everything else but one stick of RAM.

m
l
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2013 4:50:03 PM

Did you look at your motherboard manual to see what these beeps mean?

Tell us what you find from your manual. Then we can help you with the problem.
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 4:52:46 PM

The manual doesn't list beep codes. Their website doesn't either. I tried reseating everything and disconnected everything but cpu and ram...no luck.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2013 4:54:06 PM

Are you sure it doesnt? Because the beeps mean something. The manual should say. Might want to double check.
m
l
March 2, 2013 5:03:13 PM

There is no trouble shooting section in the manual. But i can see from the images in the manual that it used the american megatrends bios.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2013 10:02:31 PM

Well tech support should be able to diagnose it. If they don't know what the beeps mean, then I wouldn't want anything to do with that company.
m
l
March 2, 2013 10:05:12 PM

twelve25 said:
Well tech support should be able to diagnose it. If they don't know what the beeps mean, then I wouldn't want anything to do with that company.

Its been 3 days of waiting for a response...
m
l
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
a c 114 à CPUs
March 2, 2013 10:13:19 PM

Have you tried running through general troubleshooting?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
Following those steps will narrow down potential dead parts, or fix the problem outright if its something simple like user error or a grounding issue.

If you get through all the steps and it doesn't work, you can be reasonably sure either the CPU or motherboard is broke.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
March 3, 2013 12:11:22 AM

shanemcguffinjr said:
Its been 3 days of waiting for a response...

I'd just return the motherboard, man. That's 3 strikes (not POSTing, no troubleshooting info, and no support). If you tried 1 stick of RAM at a time, that's not it, so you are down to CPU or MB and it's pretty rare to get a bad CPU.
m
l
!