Wireless for HTPC? (low profile PCI card or other solution)

I am building an HTPC have an A/V component form factor. Thus, a normal PCI card won't fit in but only low profile cards.

Now I'm having real problems finding a low profile wifi card. The only card with a low profile bracket that I found (http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/adapters/WMP600N) is around 40-50 Euros which I find too expensive given that there are cards for ~15 Euros (even though this card gets highly recommended all around the internet).

So my question is:
- Is there any good low profile wifi card for around 10-25 Euros?
- If not, what other way do you recommend to upgrade my HTPC with wifi? I assume a simple USB dongle doesn't provide enough speed?
8 answers Last reply
More about wireless htpc profile card solution
  1. Why would a USB dongle not provide enough speed? Wifi is hardly fast.
  2. a wifi usb is generally good enough.

and there are wireless adaptors out there that fit small form factors. most wifi cards that i know of have a low profile adaptor inside the box
  3. unksol said:
    Why would a USB dongle not provide enough speed? Wifi is hardly fast.

TheBigTroll said:
    a wifi usb is generally good enough.

I remember I read somewhere that a PCI card is recommended over an USB dongle. So I thought speed is the reason, USB being the bottleneck. I could be wrong though. I admit I am not a pro in hardware issues..

TheBigTroll said:
    most wifi cards that i know of have a low profile adaptor inside the box

I'm having a hard time finding one. Maybe they just don't advertise it in their specifications or package contents. For example, the TP-Link TL-WN851ND card (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN851ND+) can be bought on Amazon for ~15 Euros but doesn't seem to have a low profile slot bracket.
  4. from what i know, usb 2 has a max transfer rate of 480mbps, still way more than what most internet plans can supply.
  5. jaochoo said:
    I remember I read somewhere that a PCI card is recommended over an USB dongle. So I thought speed is the reason, USB being the bottleneck. I could be wrong though. I admit I am not a pro in hardware issues.
    Absolutely true, but only if you have a very fast internet connection and wifi speed. In most normal cases, it's the connection playing the role of the bottleneck, not the dongle.

jaochoo said:
    I'm having a hard time finding one. Maybe they just don't advertise it in their specifications or package contents. For example, the TP-Link TL-WN851ND card (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN851ND+) can be bought on Amazon for ~15 Euros but doesn't seem to have a low profile slot bracket.
    I don't know about that particular card, but low-profile connectivity is a hard thing to find - among graphics cards, nobody advertises or even mentions what cards are or are not low-profile ready. Your best guess is to look for an adapter among the image with he box contents.
  6. I would recommend a good usb adapter over pci/pcie.
    The performance is similar.

Easier to move from pc to pc.
    If you need to move it closer to your access point you can with usb cords etc.
  7. D-Link XtremeN comes with a low profile bracket.

D-Link DWA-552

Its what I have in mine for the same reason. Right now I'm at 130 Mbps.

Its interesting everything I can find on the nets shows it as a full height card. The DWA-556 look low profile, but with the PCI 1x instead of the 32-bit PCI. Mine is certainly the DWA-552, with the 32-bit interface and its low profile. I bought it from Fry's Electronics if that helps.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Wireless PCI WiFi Systems