Wireless for HTPC? (low profile PCI card or other solution)

jaochoo

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
I am building an HTPC have an A/V component form factor. Thus, a normal PCI card won't fit in but only low profile cards.

Now I'm having real problems finding a low profile wifi card. The only card with a low profile bracket that I found (http://www.linksys.com/en-eu/products/adapters/WMP600N) is around 40-50 Euros which I find too expensive given that there are cards for ~15 Euros (even though this card gets highly recommended all around the internet).

So my question is:
- Is there any good low profile wifi card for around 10-25 Euros?
- If not, what other way do you recommend to upgrade my HTPC with wifi? I assume a simple USB dongle doesn't provide enough speed?

jaochoo

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

I remember I read somewhere that a PCI card is recommended over an USB dongle. So I thought speed is the reason, USB being the bottleneck. I could be wrong though. I admit I am not a pro in hardware issues..

I'm having a hard time finding one. Maybe they just don't advertise it in their specifications or package contents. For example, the TP-Link TL-WN851ND card (http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WN851ND+) can be bought on Amazon for ~15 Euros but doesn't seem to have a low profile slot bracket.

Absolutely true, but only if you have a very fast internet connection and wifi speed. In most normal cases, it's the connection playing the role of the bottleneck, not the dongle.

I don't know about that particular card, but low-profile connectivity is a hard thing to find - among graphics cards, nobody advertises or even mentions what cards are or are not low-profile ready. Your best guess is to look for an adapter among the image with he box contents.

subsect

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I would recommend a good usb adapter over pci/pcie.
The performance is similar.

Easier to move from pc to pc.
If you need to move it closer to your access point you can with usb cords etc.

Erus00

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
D-Link XtremeN comes with a low profile bracket.

D-Link DWA-552

Its what I have in mine for the same reason. Right now I'm at 130 Mbps.

Its interesting everything I can find on the nets shows it as a full height card. The DWA-556 look low profile, but with the PCI 1x instead of the 32-bit PCI. Mine is certainly the DWA-552, with the 32-bit interface and its low profile. I bought it from Fry's Electronics if that helps.