Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Looking for some general upgrade advice

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 6:40:33 PM

Hello! I'm currently gaming on a budget system that is a few years old now. I built it for super cheap on mostly Black Friday deals. I'd like to get some advice on what components I should think about upgrading first. I've mostly been using it to catch up on my backlog of games (Portal 2, Bioshock, Psychonauts, Borderlands) and to play the popular indie games (Bastion, Limbo, Botanicula, Mark of the Ninja). The newest game I have thrown at is is Borderlands 2. So far it has performed remarkably well for me. I think I've had the graphics cranked all the way up on everything at 1080p, with the exception of that advanced physics engine in Borerlands 2, and have always run at acceptable framerates (30-45 mostly).

Now having said that, I can still tell that the system is a bit long in the tooth, and I'm probably going to need to be upgrading in the near future to keep up with the current games like Bioshock Infinite and Destiny. My question is what should I focus on first? Should I just upgrade the GPU to something more current and try to live off of that? Would that require a new PSU? It seems to me like it might not be worth it to try to just upgrade the CPU. Would that even be worth it? Or would it only be worth my while to switch to Intel and replace the motherboard and CPU all at once?

tl;dr: I want to play Bioshock Infinite at the higher settings at 1080p. What general advice do you have? Is the system worth upgrading? What order would you upgrade in? Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks guys!

Current System
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 (3.1GHz) -- shows up as Phennom II X4 B45 3.3GHz once 4th core is unlocked by mobo
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
Motherboard: ASRock 870 EXTREME3 -- used to "auto-overclock" to 3.3GHz and unlock 4th core
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W
Case: Antec Two Hundred V2
edit:
Also running an SSD, I forget which one, but it feels plenty fast =)

Information
Approximate Purchase Date: nowish
System Usage: Gaming @ 1080p resolution
Preferred Website: newegg.com
Overclocking: Yes, probably. Currently my motherboard is doing it for me because I've been lazy about it.

More about : general upgrade advice

March 3, 2013 5:14:59 PM

No replies? Perhaps information overload =)
Score
!