Trying to unlock an Athlon II X3 450

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I just recently put together this new system (pls see sig for pieces/parts). I realize I purchased an X3 chip and if unlocking doesn't work, well that's just fine with me too. Anyway, I have turned on ACC (with and without CPU Core Control), started at stock voltage (1.35V) and didn't work. I then bumped it to 1.36, 1.37, then finally to 1.4V. What is happening after each reboot is the system immediately turns itself off for ~3-4 secs, then powers back on with no POST or anything - fans are running and lights are on but that's it. This reboot is rather strange because (normally) whenever a change is made in the BIOS, the system doesn't shut off - it just reboots.

The only other thing I've done in the BIOS is bring the RAM up from 1333 to 1600 (9-9-9-24 timings which is what this RAM is rated), but no other overclocking is going on.

I would like to give this unlock my best shot, but if it doesn't work, then so be it. Do you have any suggestions on what I may be missing here?

Thanks much for any help,
Madmurr

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I have run prime95 already for ~2 hrs with cpu at stock settings and RAM at 1600 Mhz at rated settings - all worked fine. (Was running it to verify the TX3 was decent at cooling...and seems like it is. Idle temp is 31C and after 2 hrs, cpu temp only rose to 42C :) )

If you want more testing I can run memtest overnight and get back with you tomorrow.

Appreciate the help :)

madmurr

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
That's the thing...I put ACC to Auto, press F10, save and exit and <poof> the machine shuts off for ~3-4 secs, then powers itself back on but no POST and it won't even shutdown by holding in the power button - I have to flick the power switch off on the back of the PSU. This same thing happens with just ACC to Auto, ACC to Auto and CPU Core control to Enabled, and any of the latter with increased CPU voltage up to 1.4V.

No overclocking attempted at all, just core unlock.