Your question

New MB, PSU, GPU, still no POST or beeps

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 7:04:42 PM

MB: MSI 970A-G46 AMD970 950 AM3+ R
VGA: XFX HD-687A-ZHFC HD6870 1G R
PSU: RAIDMAX RX-500AF 500W RT
CPU: AMD Phenom II BE X4 965 3.4G AM3 R

So I built this system at the end of last year with new parts from Newegg and it worked great for two weeks, running most cames at ultra-high with safe temps. Then one morning i tried to wake it up and got nothing on the screen.
After testing a new GPU (no onboard), PSU, and trying everything I read on the web such as resetting the cmos I sent in the MB and MSI sent me a replacement motherboard. Still nothing.
At this point I have it bread-boarded, and though the previous MSI board I had would beep when the RAM is removed, this one does not. I have tried the ram in multiple configurations as I did with the first board to no avail. It also does not beep with the CPU and/or RAM completely removed, as the previous MB did before I sent it in.
I only have the bare minimums installed with the (2) 2x4 CPU power cables, the 2x12 MB plug, the case power switch, the (2) 2x3 PCI express power cables (or none for my second test GPU), the HDMI cable (tested) going to my monitor(tested), and the MB speaker.
I'm starting to wonder if maybe my CPU went on the fritz in the first place and my MB was just fine, but now i have a DOA MB -AND- the bad CPU.

Thanks for any advice.

More about : psu gpu post beeps

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2013 10:23:43 PM

1/ disconnect the case switch and see if it starts when you short the pins on the mb briefly with the tip of a screwdriver

2/ try another psu
m
l
March 3, 2013 12:51:49 AM

Could be a bad CPU at this point.
m
l
March 3, 2013 1:37:42 AM

Yeah, since I have tried another PSU and RAM shouldn't be required to get some kind of reaction out of the system, I think it has to be the CPU. I've submitted an RMA to AMD. Funny how MSI sent me back a replacement board... they probably couldn't find anything wrong with the original.
m
l
!