New Mixed Use PC

Lucid Moments

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
I am about to order the parts for a new system. Intended use is mixed. Moderate gaming, HD video editing and general use. The only part that is fixed so far is the motherboard which I was given as a gift so I already have it.

Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LK

Processor Intel Core I5 3570K

RAM G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 1866 2 X 8gig

SSD Adata XPG SX900 256GB SATA III

Sapphire 100355L Radeon HD7850 2GB

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 720W

NZXT Source 210 Elite case

As stated everything is open to suggestions except the motherboard. The power supply is probably overkill, I am already thinking about downsizing it, but may keep it too just as future proofing.

A couple of questions. How much video editing is done by the video card and is there any major difference between the GPU manufacturers for that purpose? Or is that all still done by the CPU?

Also is it worthwhile to get a USB 3.0 card reader, or is the recording media more of a limiting factor than the USB port?

g-unit1111

Titan
As stated everything is open to suggestions except the motherboard. The power supply is probably overkill, I am already thinking about downsizing it, but may keep it too just as future proofing.

That won't really future proof a build. I say there really isn't such a thing. Because by the time you are ready to upgrade there will be something newer and better coming along.

A couple of questions. How much video editing is done by the video card and is there any major difference between the GPU manufacturers for that purpose? Or is that all still done by the CPU?

That's a more CPU intensive process. The GPU matters though - I would get NVIDIA over ATI if you're going to be doing that because you will benefit from the added hardware acceleration.

I definitely agree with the above that Cooler Master PSUs are not to be purchased.

I would get a less expensive SSD or just get a mechanical HD and upgrade your GPU. What is your max budget?

Lucid Moments

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Okay so say I sub in the Corsair CX500M for the power supply.

The budget is not fixed, but I would like to keep it around $1k for what I need to buy not including the motherboard which I already have, I plan to keep the monitors that I am currently using and keep on using the Windows 7 license I am also currently using, but would like to replace my aging keyboard and mouse.

With what I have and substituting the power supply listed above I am at appr. $849 and so well within my budget. If I sub in an Asus GTX 660Ti that still keeps me around what I am looking for. at about $960.