Closed

Need Graphics card/ or CPU to run UDK app and a few different Games

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2013 7:55:34 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $100 - $200) Before / After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming: Diablo 3, Portal 2, Torchlight 2. Work Applications: Unreal Development Kit ( I am fulfilling a major in Computer Science right now and am leaning towards the video game design and Programming aspect of it. So Right now I am required to use UDK but what I have on my system really sucks. I can use UDK but the fps is really slow. I move my cursor and 10 seconds later the screen moves to where I need it to be.). Other than gaming and the work applications side of things, I play alot of xbox (irrelevant) so anything else I do will be watching videos on the internet, using Itunes alot, and just occasional browsing the internet.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GPU:NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200GS, POWER SUPPLY: Thermaltake Smart M Series, Smart M850W

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel Core2 (6300 @ 1.86GHz, 1867 Mhz, 2 cores, 2 logical processors), 2 GB RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: nothing preferred

PARTS PREFERENCES: no preferences.

OVERCLOCKING: Never done it. Don't really want or feel the need to, but I am not opposed to it. Any suggestions, comments, ideas are welcome.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600X900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just looking for a graphics card that has shader model 3 (for UDK). Also, my system seems to be really slow. I think I may need a new CPU, but not really wanting to spend the money. Ideas on CPU's would be appreciated though because even though I don't want to spend the money, I feel I may be getting one anyway. So my price range for a CPU right now would be anything under $500 if possible.

I bought some new DDR3 RAM, but my motherboard doesn't support it, so I actually might get a new motherboard. Haha I am all over the place with what I want. The fact is I don't know what I need though. I just want my system to run faster and have good graphics and not be so darn slow in loading applications.

More about : graphics card cpu run udk app games

a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 9:21:42 AM

Ok, since you've said that you have a $500 dollar budget on a new CPU, why not upgrade it too? The Core 2 CPU that you've got is really irrelevant for the workload that you want.

First, for the CPU, I reccommend this AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor for $200. Okay, this CPU is one of the best in both world, gaming and workload. Anybody that says 8350 is not great for gaming, are just plain stupid. Want reason? Equivalent Intel CPU is just 4 or 5 frames faster, meh. Also, 8350 is really excellent in workload. Since you've said you want to do UDK, this CPU is just great.

For motherboard, I pick this GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for $145. It has USB 3.0, internal & external, 6x SATA 6.0 Gb/s and USB 2.0 ports and many more.

Also, you said you have bought the memory? What model is it? I just want to reccommend you to get this G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory for $81. 1600 MHz with CAS Latency of 10.

That leave us with $275 budget for your graphics card, with leftover for the new CPU. That'll get you with this MSI R7870 HAWK Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card for $260. With 1.1 GHz overclock and 2 GB of GDDR5 memory, that should max all games with your current resolution.

Hope it'll help. :) 
Score
January 14, 2013 3:41:53 AM

acerace said:
Ok, since you've said that you have a $500 dollar budget on a new CPU, why not upgrade it too? The Core 2 CPU that you've got is really irrelevant for the workload that you want.

First, for the CPU, I reccommend this AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor for $200. Okay, this CPU is one of the best in both world, gaming and workload. Anybody that says 8350 is not great for gaming, are just plain stupid. Want reason? Equivalent Intel CPU is just 4 or 5 frames faster, meh. Also, 8350 is really excellent in workload. Since you've said you want to do UDK, this CPU is just great.

For motherboard, I pick this GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard for $145. It has USB 3.0, internal & external, 6x SATA 6.0 Gb/s and USB 2.0 ports and many more.

Also, you said you have bought the memory? What model is it? I just want to reccommend you to get this G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory for $81. 1600 MHz with CAS Latency of 10.

That leave us with $275 budget for your graphics card, with leftover for the new CPU. That'll get you with this MSI R7870 HAWK Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card for $260. With 1.1 GHz overclock and 2 GB of GDDR5 memory, that should max all games with your current resolution.

Hope it'll help. :) 

The memory that I have is 2 sticks of RAM. I dont have the box they came in, but the sticker on both of them says "Corsair Vengeance: 8GB (2X4GB) 1600 MHz....

Also just for your information, I pulled an old GPU out of my computer when I got it. I dont know if it is any better than the one I have currently in it or not so here ya go. I also do not have the info that came with this GPU, so all that I can find on it is the following information: XFX , GF 7600GT, 570M, 256MB DDR3, DUAL DVI TV PCI-E

Thank you for all your help thus far.

Nick
Score
January 14, 2013 4:04:49 AM

Also, to install the CPU, what all do I need to accomplish this task? Do I need to buy a heatsink and some other form of cooling method? Do I need to buy any special attachments to be able to hook it into the motherboard?

Thank you again.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2013 7:44:42 AM

naspri4 said:
The memory that I have is 2 sticks of RAM. I dont have the box they came in, but the sticker on both of them says "Corsair Vengeance: 8GB (2X4GB) 1600 MHz....

Also just for your information, I pulled an old GPU out of my computer when I got it. I dont know if it is any better than the one I have currently in it or not so here ya go. I also do not have the info that came with this GPU, so all that I can find on it is the following information: XFX , GF 7600GT, 570M, 256MB DDR3, DUAL DVI TV PCI-E

Thank you for all your help thus far.

Nick

Well, since you have Corsair Vengeance memory, which is a very good memory, you don't have to buy the G.Skill memory I've mentioned. And for that GPU, it's a very old GPU, many generations back. The 7870 is much much much much better. 500% better. :) 

Also, for installing the CPU, you don't have to do anything special, you don't need anything. The heatsink is provided when you bought the CPU, albeit it's a stock cooler. It should do the job to keep the CPU cool, unless you're overclocking.

Here, http://youtu.be/W4Js2A1qdB8 This video teach how to build a PC, from A to Z, but you can skip to the CPU part. It's from Logan from Tek Syndicate.

p/s: Logan is frickin awesome.

Edit: Since you don't have to buy the memory, you have about $80 dollar left. You can upgrade the graphics card to this SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100352VXSR Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card for $330. Very fast card and easily overclocks. :) 
January 14, 2013 9:43:36 PM

acerace said:
Well, since you have Corsair Vengeance memory, which is a very good memory, you don't have to buy the G.Skill memory I've mentioned. And for that GPU, it's a very old GPU, many generations back. The 7870 is much much much much better. 500% better. :) 

Also, for installing the CPU, you don't have to do anything special, you don't need anything. The heatsink is provided when you bought the CPU, albeit it's a stock cooler. It should do the job to keep the CPU cool, unless you're overclocking.

Here, http://youtu.be/W4Js2A1qdB8 This video teach how to build a PC, from A to Z, but you can skip to the CPU part. It's from Logan from Tek Syndicate.

p/s: Logan is frickin awesome.

Edit: Since you don't have to buy the memory, you have about $80 dollar left. You can upgrade the graphics card to this SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100352VXSR Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card for $330. Very fast card and easily overclocks. :) 

Should the current CPU that I have be able to work in the new motherboard that you recommended for the time being? Until I can get the new CPU that is...
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 5:12:44 AM

Well, it can't. First, the CPU you have is an Intel one, while the motherboard that I reccommend is AMD. They both use different sockets.

If you don't have enough money, you can go with this AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor for $140. It's a pretty good CPU for the money. You can always upgrade to 8350 later.

But, if you can't afford both of that now, I would suggest that you wait until you get enough money. Use whatever you have now.
Score
January 19, 2013 5:37:09 AM

So I assume I hooked everything up the way it is suppose to be hooked up, I have done this a few times so I'm not a complete noob at putting a computer together, but there is absolutely no image showing on my monitor? Computer boots fine and all, but there is no image whatsoever. Any suggestions? Thank you again as always.
Score
January 30, 2013 3:20:26 PM

Best answer selected by naspri4.
Score
!