Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Build, any good?

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 2, 2013 7:49:06 PM

What do you think of this build, I will be using it mainly for internet (Facebook, toms hardware, etc.) and some occasional mild gaming, I also like to sometimes tune my system, thanks;

Intel i5 3470 @ 3.2Ghz
Kingston Hyper X Genesis RAM 8GB @ 1600 Mhz
GA-B75M-D3H Gigabyte motherboard
Nvidia GT 640 2GB
1TB Seagate HDD
Thermaltake V4 black case
700 WATT OCZ ModXtreme Pro PSU

More about : build good

March 2, 2013 7:52:50 PM

Get a PSU from Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair. 500w will be more than enough. Get like 400w.

Get an hd7750/gtx650 instead of the gt640.

m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:54:47 PM

You don't need 700W for that system, a quality psu within 400W-450W is easily enough, also it depends on the games that you're playing, the 640 GT isn't that good, i'd try to get either the 650 gtx or 7770, if it's for more demanding games, a 7850 at least.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 7:55:44 PM

tiny voices said:
Get a PSU from Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair. 500w will be more than enough. Get like 400w.

Get an hd7750/gtx650 instead of the gt640.

I want to stick with the 700 WATT because I want to future proof my PC, and yes I do plan to upgrade my GPU, I need a GPU that will fit
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:57:43 PM

Unless you want to crossfire $400 cards, you don't need 700w. Also don't get an OCZ psu. Its not very good quality.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:59:23 PM

Is the OCZ better than the thermaltake line of PSU's?
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 7:59:25 PM

You don't need 700W, even for "future proof" a good psu within 500-550w will do for any single gpu(single gpu in the pcb) in the market.
OCZ is decent, it's fine, but it's overkill and that model isn't the best for the price.
What's your budget ?
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:00:40 PM

djangoringo said:
You don't need 700W, even for "future proof" a good psu within 500-550w will do for any single gpu(single gpu in the pcb) in the market.
What's your budget ?

around $1000
m
0
l

Best solution

March 2, 2013 8:06:07 PM

This will do :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.48 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $943.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

You can lower down the card, if your gaming needs are low, for a 7850.

You can get cheaper parts in ncix us :

RAM : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74758&promoid=1321
HDD : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74462&promoid=1324
CASE : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76376&promoid=1324
And the psu : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&promoid=1257

And don't worry, ncix us is a trusted website, it's well known.
Share
March 2, 2013 8:07:31 PM

djangoringo said:
This will do :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.48 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $943.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Ok thanks, ill give it a think
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:08:52 PM

Best answer selected by Quadacon.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:09:25 PM

djangoringo said:
This will do :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.79 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.48 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $943.15
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

You can lower down the card, if your gaming needs are low, for a 7850.

You can get cheaper parts in ncix us :

HDD : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=63468&promoid=1324
CASE : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76376&promoid=1324
And the psu : http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62331

And don't worry, ncix us is a trusted website, it's well known.



Get this for sure. It's many times better than your first build.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:16:29 PM

tiny voices said:
Get this for sure. It's many times better than your first build.

It really isn't that much different, but I do appreciate your answer djangoringo
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:17:17 PM

Your build won't play games. This build will max games.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:19:45 PM

Yes, for gaming it's much better, for productivity it will be about the same, since it's the same cpu, but you get also a good ssd with it.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:20:20 PM

true but I can upgrade my GPU at anytime can I not?
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:21:10 PM

Yes, but why buy a bad GPU now then spend again later on a better one? Better to buy nice than buy twice.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 8:22:45 PM

tiny voices said:
Yes, but why buy a bad GPU now then spend again later on a better one? Better to buy nice than buy twice.

hmm, that's true there, anything else?
m
0
l
!