Second 'Display' GPU questions

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I started a thread earlier asking about using a second GPU merely for adding a 3rd monitor. I didn't really get my question answered so i'm gonna list them this time in the hope they do. This is the setup I will want to be using. 560ti as main GPU with 2 Monitors attached, 9800GT as secondary gpu with 1 monitor attached.

1. If I run 3 game clients and display 1 on each monitor are they all gonna be run on the 560ti and simply displayed through the 98 like its an adapter, or will the 98 play some part in it.

2. Do I need drivers for the 9800GT as I already have nvidia drivers for the 560ti.

3. Is there any downside to this.

If question 1 is true does that mean I can use any old GPU providing it has a DVI or VGA port and i'll still get the same performance but use 3 monitors?

Thanks in advance

-plasma

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
As far as I am aware, this will not work as the OS will not like to use 2 different nVidia cards at the same time. Hence, you are better off getting a second 560 ti and use SLI and have better performance across all screens. I hope this helps.

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Well according to the responses I got earlier it does work and from searching on google I see other people seem to have done it.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

It wont work, youll either have to SLI or just upgrade to a 600 series Nvidia card and those are able to run 3 monitors on 1 card.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

No, if you use it as a physx card it will just use that GPU when running physx games and take the load off of your main card. The only way to get 3 monitors running with the current setup you have is either upgrade to 600 series Nvidia card, upgrade to a AMD card that supports it, I'm not to familiar with them so I dont know which ones do. Or SLI your current card.

plasma-visuals

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

So I decided to try it anyway. I put the 9800 in the machine and set it to be a PhysX card. Interestingly I can run a 3rd monitor off it!
I then decided to run some game clients and use GPU-Z to see the load.
It's really weird the 9800 actually takes the stress of whatever is on the display its connected too.
So when running a client on the 9800 screen it was taking the load.
The issue came with the fact that it was bottlenecking the client on the 560ti's screen.

The reason I don't want to SLI is because you can't run games in Windowed Maximised mode. SLI requires full screen to be running and is therefor useless for my situation.

I am now rather curious as to whether if I got another 560ti and had that set up in the same way I have the 9800 now with PhysX but a monitor attached whether it would run independently as well but not cause the bottleneck.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Wow well I stand corrected and so do a lot of other people. Well I guess you found a loop whole and dont have to pay a couple hundred bucks to SLI or upgrade. Thats extremely weird that it worked because before I went to the 660 Ti, I had a 560 Ti and had a extra gt 520 and tried to do the same thing and nothing worked. Well happy that you got everything worked out!

TRENDING THREADS