Sign in with
Your question

Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered (TRIED EVE

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2013 8:46:54 PM

Hello, I've been going for the past week all around this forum looking for a solution, unfortunately I haven't found it.

I have a

Sapphire HD6850
Intel Q8300
DG33TL Mobo
128gb Crucial M4 SSD
1tb WD Caviar Black
2 XMS2 Corsair 2x2gb
2 HyperX II Kingston 2x1gb
Raidmax PSU

Already modified TdrDelay on the Registry
Uninsallted, sweeped and reinstalled Drivers
Uninstalled, sweeped and installed a Previous Driver Release (11.11, 10.10, and 8.8)
Reseated the Card
Reseated EVERYTHING
Took out RAMS and used only 1 stick
Formatted the Drive and resintalled Windows 7
Service Pack 1
Fully Updated
Not installed CCC

And well, the problem just got worst yesterday, before, I was getting these errors sporadicaly, like once or twice every 6 hours.

Now is every 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and sometimes triple error, yesterday i had 7 errors in under 4 minutes.

Im thinking it MIGHT be the PSU or the Mobo, yesterday I ordered a new asus p5ql pro and until the next week i wont be able to order a new psu.

I cant upgrade my whole system, so buying a whole new setup is not an option u_u

The card is barely 10 months old.

Thanks a lot!

More about : display driver amd stopped responding recovered eve

January 12, 2013 8:56:57 PM

Do you overclock your GPU? The driver losing responsiveness and recovering can be indicative of an unstable OC. Barring that, my best guess would be an issue with the power draw of the PSU.
m
l
January 12, 2013 8:59:39 PM

The only time this has happened to me is when I was playing civilization for a really long time. The card you have age wise is older then 10 months old you've had it for 10 months sure but the 7000 series cards have been out for a year now. Have you ran memtestx86 that may be a place to start also prime95.

Memtestx86: you need to create a boot cd or use a flash drive to boot from to run this.
http://www.memtest86.com/

Prime95
http://download.cnet.com/Prime95/3000-2053_4-192895.htm...
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2013 9:00:10 PM

not the best psu...

download and run Furmark and test the card

99% chance its the card, it is what it is
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:00:10 PM

I overclocked it once or twice for about a month with CCC stock capabilities. Stock voltage.

I havent overclocked since the reformatting.

Right now I'm getting artifacts on my screen, cant run any demanding applications, i opened photoshop(GPU acceleration) BAM crashed, opened ASC3 BAM! Crashed, opened League of Legends, crash...
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:07:49 PM

m
l
January 12, 2013 9:12:06 PM

bigshootr8 said:
The only time this has happened to me is when I was playing civilization for a really long time. The card you have age wise is older then 10 months old you've had it for 10 months sure but the 7000 series cards have been out for a year now. Have you ran memtestx86 that may be a place to start also prime95.

Memtestx86: you need to create a boot cd or use a flash drive to boot from to run this.
http://www.memtest86.com/

Prime95
http://download.cnet.com/Prime95/3000-2053_4-192895.htm...

What do I do with these programs, I havent run prime95, I already ran memtest but I fell asleep and didn't catch the result, can I have some input in how to properly run this software?
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:19:16 PM

Adeoh said:
I overclocked it once or twice for about a month with CCC stock capabilities. Stock voltage.

I havent overclocked since the reformatting.

Right now I'm getting artifacts on my screen, cant run any demanding applications, i opened photoshop(GPU acceleration) BAM crashed, opened ASC3 BAM! Crashed, opened League of Legends, crash...

Artifacts are generally indicative of a damaged GPU. If you have a replacement card lying around that can fit your PCI-E I'd recommend swapping out cards to be certain.
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:20:35 PM

I have an old 4350 around here, be right back.

I forgot to mention artifacts appear after the display error 1/15 times
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:41:15 PM

The error occurs for both amd and nvidia. It's a voltage issue. The issue typically occurs when your rig has been stressed by dirt, low fan speed, overheating, poor connections i.e. something that degrades without breaking.

Artifacts on the screen are almost exclusively from vram.

So either your vram is dying or your vram is not receiving voltage from the psu. Open up your rig, vacuum everything especially on your cpu, psu, gpu, back panels of vid card, internal vid card fan, psu exhaust, and psu intake inside case.

You can check your temps with a variety of programs out there. Same for fan speeds.

you've addressed some of the other possibilities, I think the mobo purchase might have been premature.

Good luck
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:54:37 PM

Well I wouldn't say vacuum out the computer unless you have a ESD safe vacuum. Memtestx86 will continue to run if you allow it to. Its a memory test to check your memory.

Prime95 is used to check out the stability of your system.

And furmark is to check for graphic card irregularities. You didn't say whether or not you were receiving artifacts but yes artifacts can be caught using furmark as the test will act weird and the environment will show things indicating something is wrong with the card.
m
l
January 12, 2013 10:05:42 PM

The thing is that as soon as i pop something that demands GPU usage, the display driver crashes, this didnt happened until today, for example, if I open League of Legends the drivers crashes around 3 times and then everything works good.

If I open photoshop, display driver crashes and then Photoshop crashes.

If I open Assassin's Creed 3, the display driver chrashes and then ASC3 crashes.
m
l
January 12, 2013 10:34:56 PM

Ok running on 4350 now, crap graphic capabilities but running smooth without issues, still hard to know if its the PSU or the GPU because this card doesnt need that much voltage and doesnt even need power from the psu
m
l
January 12, 2013 11:05:02 PM

Okay well its either the card of the gpu as you see with you trying out another card. What are the specifications of the power supply.

Power supply: Raidmax
wattage:
12V amps:
m
l
January 12, 2013 11:19:56 PM

I know this PSU is crap, was meant to be temporary but ugh, college sucks all my money. I really really really do hope it isnt my GPU :cry: 
m
l
January 13, 2013 1:12:22 AM

understood, I mean it very well could be the power supply unit. I'm not quite sure though. You have two 12v rails of 20 amps. Which 40 amps total would be enough. If you are off power wise you are off by very little.
m
l
!