Sign in with
Your question

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 - wrong memory?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Intel
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2013 8:55:03 PM

So I bought a new Sony Vaio Laptop with the following specs:

-4gb DDR3 RAM
- Intel i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10ghz
- Intel HD Graphcs 4000
- Windows 7 64 bit
dont know how to find the motherboard :S

but anyway when I first bought my laptop which was a week ago, I noticed that the memory on my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 4000) was 2.8gigs as seen in dxdiag. Today, I went back on dxdiag and I noticed it was 1.6 gigs.

Is there a strange occurence to do this? The only thing I did major was update my graphics card yesterday, and the site that I download the update was from the Intel website.

I really do want it to go back to 2.8gigs instead of 1.6 gigs!

More about : intel graphics 4000 wrong memory

a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 9:00:02 PM

keep in mind that intel hd 4000 is integrated graphics, which uses system ram. if it needs ram it takes it out of your 4 gigs, thus decreasing system performance.
m
l
January 12, 2013 9:25:15 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
keep in mind that intel hd 4000 is integrated graphics, which uses system ram. if it needs ram it takes it out of your 4 gigs, thus decreasing system performance.

Ahh thanks, but would that have any effects on the performance of my computer? If I was to play a high-end game, would there be an effect on performance because of lack of memory?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b å Intel
January 12, 2013 9:31:10 PM

Don't worry, you can't play high-end game with the HD 4000. well, maybe if you play on low detail. But yes 4 gb is not enough when you use an integrated graphic.
m
l
!