2013 System

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Hey everyone,

I've been floating around the forums quit a bit getting advice for my new build. Everyone has been very helpful so big thank you. So I wanted to post my final build to see if there were any conflicts or last suggestions. I haven't totally decided on a CPU cooler, so I'd love some suggestions. Anyway, here it is:

Sabertooth Z77
i7 3770k
Cooler Master V6 GT air cooler
EVGA FTW Signature 2 GTX 670 SLI (x2)
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (2x8gb) Low Profice
Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD
Corsair professional series AX 850w Modular 80 plus gold PSU
Nzxt Phantom Case
Asus VG278HE monitor
Razer DeathStalker Expert keyboard

So there it is! I hope to get a lot of thumbs up for this build. I've spent a lot of time doing the home work. Let me know what you think and if there is anything I missed.

Again, the air cooler isn't totally decided. I've herd good things about the V6 GT and really liked the design. Also, I love the Nzxt case, but I haven't decided on black with blue led or white with red leds, thoughts!? Thanks again everyone for the help

OH! Windows 8 or 7? the only thing I will really use this system for is gaming :)

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
a huge thumbs up to that build, but you might want a beefier PSU, something more like a 1000 or 1200W because you are using SLI GPU. you will probably want a storage drive too because games nowadays will eat your 256GB SSD in a heartbeat. I recommend the Seagate barracuda 2tb (or 1tb if you prefer, just stay away from the 3tb ones, they have terrible reliability issues).

as far as a processor cooler goes, the best you can get as far as air goes will be a Noctua nh-d14. if you wanted to get anything better, go grab a corsair h100i AIO watercooler.

on a side note, you haven't mentioned anything about fans. the stock NZXT fans are quite good, but a tad noisy. i'd go for the corsair AF 120/140 series fans (quiet or performance version is up to you). all of the fans i have are quiet edition ones, when i turn up my fan controller to max, my legs suddenly feel as if they are going to get frostbite and fall off. just saying.

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
The PC is configured very well, but there are of course some small touches you could make to improve it a bit.
I see you've got a thing for high quality power supplies, and by the choice of components, you aren't considering the possibility of upgrading to three-way SLI, so i think you might as well buy this PSU instead.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0HZMI8/?tag=pcpapi-20
It's a newer, higher quality unit with digital controll. Easily the best in its class.

As for the CPU Cooler, i assume you want a nice looking, high-end air cooler.
Currently the best air cooler (better than the noctua nh-d14) would be this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
It looks beastly too.

And lastly, go with Windows 8.
Even if you don't like the look, you can always mod it.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
The PC is configured very well, but there are of course some small touches you could make to improve it a bit.
I see you've got a thing for high quality power supplies, and by the choice of components, you aren't considering the possibility of upgrading to three-way SLI, so i think you might as well buy this PSU instead.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0HZMI8/?tag=pcpapi-20
It's a newer, higher quality unit with digital controll. Easily the best in its class.

As for the CPU Cooler, i assume you want a nice looking, high-end air cooler.
Currently the best air cooler (better than the noctua nh-d14) would be this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709011&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
It looks beastly too.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!!! I'm excited about this build.

phate1337, I looked at some 1000w/1200w PSU's and based on my system I didn't think I would really need more than 850w. I think I ould probably even get away with a 750w. I don't plan on getting any more GPU's. I may getmyself a sata HD down the road (thanks for the reccomendation by the way). But for now I've really stretched the budget so I will just e using my SSD. Besides that I can only see myself getting a sound card and maybe upgrade/change my CPU or GPU. I'd be interested to hear why you think I need more than 750w? Because I definitely don't want to short my self the juice my system will need.

Kamen_BG, also, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you pointed out that PSU. I've really taken an interest in geting that instead. Kind of going along with what I just said above, do you think that will be enough power for my system even considering the changings and additions I may make? If its enough juice, I think I will pick that up instead. I haven't seen the Air Cooler you suggested before, but I'd love to look into tha tmore as well. Know of any sites that give a good review I can check out?

I've had a few people mention water cooling to me instead of air. I actually love the sleaker look, and like the idea. But I've never done it and I'm still a bit nervious about it. I kind of like the worry free feeling of a good air cooler :) So i think I will stick with the air cooking for now. I love the look of the v6, but it just seems like a better idea to getthe nh-d14 or this Phanteks cooler that Kamen_BG suggested.

If you guys have an extra minute to offer me some advice on that PSU and any other suggestions I'd really ppreciate it! Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and I'll be sticking with windows 8 :) Thanks for the reccomendations everyone.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
I'm a noob with this stuff so this is more of a question to all. With that setup you have a 1080p monitor, is there really any benefit in Sli 670's when running at 1920x1080?

Good question. GTX670 SLI would allow you to run a higher rez like 2560x1440. I went with a 1080p monitor that runs 144hz so I could enjoy the benifit of a higher frame rate. So even thought its 1080 you will have a frame rate that is higher than 60. It is all up to you though. If would rather the higher resolution then you would want a monitor that supports it. I just wanted the higher refresh monitor to enjoy the higher fps. Hope this helps.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Check if the V6GT will fit with the sabertooth and ram space, It was a problem i had with my build so ended up with a zalman sealed water cooler.

Thanks for the feedback putnam55. Everyone seem to be pointing me to the water cooled option. I'm real nervious about it. I just don't want any leaks that could ruin my rig.. aw, what a sad day. Are they pretty reliable? I'm not finiding that I am considering the option. Any recommendations on a solid water cooler. I've been told the corsair h100 is a good way to go.

I'll check out to make sure the air cooled options I'm looking at fin my MB well. I've got low profile ram, but I haven't checked to make sure it clears the MB. Thanks for the heads up.

putnam55

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Sealed units now are really straight forward to install and don't require any maintenance. I've not really tested my one out as have yet to o/c my cpu, but it runs cool and quiet. Corsair H100 has been recommend by many as a good solid option, maybe time to give it a go ;)

baha_timimi

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
with i7 2600k you will not need to water cooling for overclock for 4.2GHz as example
which is very easy for the suggested processor while the 3770k will heated due to lack in manufacturing process
2600k will outperform the 3770k in overclocking with air cooling

qewee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013
Okay, I have three points:

* What I see about Wattage you need 910W+25%(OC CPU)=1200W W/O OC Duel GPU.

* Maximum VGA Resolution for 670: 2048x1536 so get TV can support the resolution to take advantage of the possibilities of graphics card.

* If you boost OC the CPU to 4.7GHz/1.35V the temp reach 96C, 91C with normal air cooler, to keep your PC safe you have to use a good liquid cooling system to keep temp down around the idle point OC=35C W/O OC=25C

Best Regards

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
No.. No just no.
He doesn't need any more than a capable 650W PSU.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_and_3way_sli_review,4.html
Look at the total system power consumption for two GTX 670's.
And that's on a system with a power hungry CPU, unlike yours which is very efficient.
You might want to get a quality 750W unit just to be on the safe side with all the overclocking (hopefully) going on in the future.
As for the 1200W PSU suggestion, just no.
It would be justified if you were running three titans on a X79 system but this...?
And you also do not need a water cooling system.
Yes they tend to keep your PSU a couple degrees cooler, but in reality that really won't make a difference.
And like Qewee said, you would be better off with a higher resolution display, but it will cost you.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
No.. No just no.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_670_2_and_3way_sli_review,4.html
Look at the total system power consumption for two GTX 670's.
And that's on a system with a power hungry CPU, unlike yours which is very efficient.
You might want to get a quality 750W unit just to be on the safe side with all the overclocking (hopefully) going on in the future.
As for the 1200W PSU suggestion, just no.
It would be justified if you were running three titans on a X79 system but this...?
And you also do not need a water cooling system.
Yes they tend to keep your PSU a couple degrees cooler, but in reality that really won't make a difference.
And like Qewee said, you would be better off with a higher resolution display, but it will cost you.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. Now I'm getting all worried that I won't have enough power for my system. But so far everything I've looked at says that 750w should be good enough. I appreciate the heads up, I definitely want to be sure. But it looks like I should be ok with 750w.

As far as water cooling vs air cooling, I may end up doing water cooling just because it almost seems easier to install and then I won’t have to worry about making sure the air cooler clears my memory and mother board. I'm going to do a little more research on that. But some of the air coolers that I know will work with my mb and memory cost nearly as much as a water cooler. So yea. Maybe I should just take the plunge.

As far as the i7 3700k vs the i7 2600k. I didn't know about that. I'll have to dig a little deeper. But more than likely I'll just stick with the 3770k just because I've spent a lot of time picking it out and I don't think I can go wrong with the 3770k. But None the less, I appreciate the suggestion and I do plan on looking into it :)

As far as having and SLI set up and a 1080p monitor, I did that purpose. I wanted to get a monitor with 120hz+ to so I could enjoy my frame rates when the are higher than 60. I know that there are many out there that would rather the higher rez, but I really dig the smooth game play :) However, if I had a 1080p monitor with a 60hz refresh rate that would have been tragedy. :) Thanks pointing that out. Much appreciated!

Oh, one other question. If I decide to water cool, what is the difference between the h100 and h100i?

qewee

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2013

Dear j3rkface,
Check this power supply calculator guide to see what exact wattage you will need, And in building computer there is One important point: Storage Disk, CPU, RAM, VGA should be at the same speed rate, For example, SD rate/1100 - CPU/880 - RAM/1100 - VGA/1100 the computer rate 880, slow part slow all other parts and you latterly burned some money because you wanna save some money with the CPU.

And here is my advice for you j3rkface if you wanna use this PC for 3 or 5 years, Get all ideal parts for your PC because after 3 or 5 years you will not fined parts that can fit on your motherboard :cry:

Thanks

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Dear j3rkface,
Check this power supply calculator guide to see what exact wattage you will need, And in building computer there is One important point: Storage Disk, CPU, RAM, VGA should be at the same speed rate, For example, SD rate/1100 - CPU/880 - RAM/1100 - VGA/1100 the computer rate 880, slow part slow all other parts and you latterly burned some money because you wanna save some money with the CPU.

And here is my advice for you j3rkface if you wanna use this PC for 3 or 5 years, Get all ideal parts for your PC because after 3 or 5 years you will not fined parts that can fit on your motherboard :cry:

Thanks

Hi Qewee. I might be missing it, but is there a link to the calculator your talking about? I've actually used a few and I was finding that a 750w should be sufficient for this rig. But I'd like to take a look at the calculator your recommending me. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :)

phate1337

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
sorry, i saw tri sli in my head! judging on your total power output, a decent 650 will do you well, if you are going to OC, grab a 700/750. if you go with a 700, the one i am running (check sig) is very good even though it is only bronze cert, it is still extremely efficient.