Smoke and explosion fps spikes - do they cause the gpu or cpu

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hi

I have encounter this problem, and I'm sure most of us do, when there are smoke, explosions, your fps drop, (especially looking at smoke directly), and more layer of smoke, more fps drop.

I wonder, does this cause the gpu or the cpu power to load the smoke? in other word is the smoke putting more load on the cpu or gpu? the reason why I want to know this is because I find this situation rather annoying, and would like to see if I can improve it by OCing my gpu or cpu

cpu : i5 3750 at 3.4 (boost 3.8)
gpu : xfx 7950 double d @ 900mhz
16gm ram

thanks

Crackadamus

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Yeah, anytime you've got smoke on the screen your GPU is going to have to work harder to render the particle effects. If for example you're playing your games in 1080p with a game's settings very high or maxed out, adding all the particle effects from the smoke and AA on top of that can be very taxing and can certainly drop your FPS.

Also, playing a game in DX9 as opposed to DX11 may hinder performance somewhat in that instance as well.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

so it's the gpu? not cpu ic.

depends on the game weather its gpu or cpu. chances are its both, the CPU has to feed the gpu extra information, especially if its processing the physics of how and where the explosion occurrs, then the GPU has to render and apply effects to the information sent from the cpu.In a physx game, if you have a nvidia card and your have physx turned on, then it puts moe load on the gpu. if you have an AMD card with physx turned on, all that has to be done on the cpu, which is much slower.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

o wait! for ATI doesn't support physx? can't i like.....use some 3rd party driver or somethig?

you CAN use physx, but it runs on the CPU. which is VERY slow. Dont worry too much about it, it doesnt do much in most titles, just adds a few more particle effects. There are very few games that actually use it anyway, most games use some other form of physics engine.