SCSI ID # ????

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SCSI
  • CD-Rom
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 21, 2002 5:59:40 PM

Sorry, it's just a computer question :-))

I am going to set up a pc as follows:
- Digital Celebris socket 5 dualie with a PowerLeap K6-2 400, 64 meg edo, onboard ncr scsi controller, phonix scsi bios onboard, 2.1gig scsi DD "Seagate" 4X scsi CD-Rom "Matsushita LF-10944", 36X IDE CD-Rom, Voodoo3 2000, USR winmodem, Acer nic 10/100, ps2 mouse & keyboard, SB-16 PCI
- I will be reformatting, installing Win98 SE (french :-)) and adding a second scsi DD
- Yes, my uncertanties are concerning this second scsi DD. It's IBM EC895972, 1gig (don't laugh it cost only $5 CAD). I have a third connection on my scsi daisychain cable. The concern is the ID config. The sequence will be: 1* the 2.2 DD as id(1), 2* the scsi 4X CD as id (3){this apparently is the necessary id # for scsi CDs}, 3* the second DD as id (?), that is where I am stomped.
I beleive the controller will autodetect first DD on cable and the CD, then ?????

- This is the jumper config of the IBM DD

:::.::::::: --
circuit board this side

as is, there are no jumpers on it.
the -- are lcd connectors i beleive, will not really need those.

NCR Controler chip: 53C810
Intel ChipSet: S82379AB
***************7OG45EF0007
Phoenix SCSI BIOS chip: L5321469E

I am not setup to boot SCSI CD in DOS, so need IDE CD to install OS.
<font color=red>Now, would a performance gain be had if I later remove the single IDE device "36X CD" and disable IDE controler in BIOS?</font color=red>
Yes, I know I will be left with "only" a 4X SCSI CD, but the sys is for a child, mostly "The Sims & Red Alert 2" and won't those run better this way.

Any suggestions before starting!

Thank U

A little green man with that sir?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pike on 02/22/02 11:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : scsi

February 22, 2002 2:46:50 AM

The highest #ID has the highest priority on the SCSI bus. Thats why the controller is usually ID #7, and the slowest device should take the next highest priority.

Why? Because the fastest device should take the lowest ID#/lowest priority, so that it doesn't out pace the slower devices on the SCSI bus.

For ex: a 10x SCSI CD ROM with ID#1 and a 7200 rpm SCSI HDD with ID#3. The HDD would race ahead of the CD ROM (because it has highest priority), then wait for the CD ROM to catch up (this configuration would cause a lot of lag-time in your gaming). So, to answer your question, if you have the capability to connect up to 7 devices make sure that your HDD gaming SCSI HDD has a higher ID like (ID#1), than your 4x CD, (actually you could even give your CD a higher priority of ID# 5 or 6, and your 1 Gig SCSI HDD ID# 2 or 3.

Hope this answers your question without confusing you.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>
Related resources
February 22, 2002 4:43:39 AM

You can boot off your SCSI CD as long as your SCSI card has boot BIOS that looks for bootable CD's.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
February 22, 2002 2:44:25 PM

Thanks for the info and that site on SCSI is good.
At boot i get:
00 Seagate (that's the 2.1gig main DD)
04 Matsushita (SCSI CD)
Then nothing...
The second SCSI DD (the IBM) is not recognized by the NCR BIOS. I have switched CD & IBM cables and still no go.
Most certainly it's du to improper ID setting, by jumpers, on the IBM DD. Will have to trace this info from IBM site. Was hoping to avoid to much searching, but...
Thanks again

A little green man with that sir?
February 22, 2002 2:45:45 PM

Sorry, crash, no boot from cd in BIOS here.
Thanks anyway

February 22, 2002 4:28:14 PM

Eureka!
IBM SCSI 0663L12 ID #(03)
Now we are going places!
OS install time.
Thank you THGF
Ya!
:cool:

February 22, 2002 4:52:10 PM

maybe buying a new mb might be judicious ? :) 

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.
February 22, 2002 4:55:48 PM

you have scsi tools which can describe for you your scsi config (ibm tools which you can download, EZ-SCSI from adpatec, ...)

February 22, 2002 5:36:34 PM

No not much in terms of SCSI utils.
I'm not really a SCSI person.
It's just that I have this damn nice "old" dual pentium socket 5 Digital server that I can't seem to have the courage to let go. It's love! :-))
:tongue:
Opps, formatting is nearly finished...

February 22, 2002 5:48:04 PM

yep, keep your <i>Museum's</i> comp. :) 

February 22, 2002 10:33:44 PM

Nice old digital Celebris socket 5 pentium server.
Those suckers where made like tanks, seem as heavy too. I swear it must weigh at the present close to 40/45 lbs.
It' a nice feeling to keep an "older" sys on it's legs.
I had fun getting it up and running with second SCSI DD.
Salut!

February 23, 2002 12:37:18 AM

SCSI has NOTHING to do with your motherboard's BIOS, it has BIOS of it's own. Your computer should boot off a SCSI CD as long as your SCSI card supports it.

February 23, 2002 1:11:59 AM

You must be right. Did see a SCSI controler chip on mainboard `NCR`if I remember, but thought I also saw what looked like a sepera SCSI BIOS chip on mainboard. Would have to open her up again, and she is all setup and running fine :-)
But, yes, you must be right. Anyway, that 4X SCSI would not boot at bootup, not even recognized by win98 or dos 6.22 sys disk. But recognized by controler since it did give the CD an ID # (4). And after trial and error(the IBM web site helped a little) the proper jumper settings where found to get the controler to recognize the IBM drive(3 SCSI devices) as # (3).
Still would like to know if I "disable" IDE interface(or is it port?) in main BIOS, can I leave the IDE CD still attached and by only using SCSI devices will that take any load off the cpu. Will I gain in sys performance , if of course we are talking of apps that only need CD 4X speed.
And would it then be up to me to "reennable" IDE in main BIOS whenever I need the CD speed of the IDE 36X CD, if I decided to leave that there.
If you reed all that you deserve a thanks no matter what. :-)
Cheers

February 23, 2002 1:36:27 AM

I think IDE controllers have a minimal impact on performance when not in use, so disabling it probably would not have much effect.

February 23, 2002 1:50:01 AM

"When not in use", right, i understand.
Thanks

February 23, 2002 2:09:21 AM

Hey Pike, I thought you might have an intrest in some more information on SCSI. These are a few of my favorites.

<A HREF="http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/scsi/index.htm" target="_new">PC Guide</A>
<A HREF="http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/scsi/guide.htm" target="_new">SCSI Guide</A>
<A HREF="http://scsi.radified.com/scsi_01.htm" target="_new">Radified</A>
<A HREF="http://scsifaq.org:9080/scsi_faq/" target="_new">Gary Field</A>

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>
February 23, 2002 2:39:35 AM

Thanks, Will check them out :-)

February 23, 2002 7:03:08 AM

yes, i have myself a 286 & a pentium 166.
salut :) 

February 23, 2002 8:20:06 AM

A 286!!!!and you never told us, sneeky!

February 23, 2002 10:58:15 AM

you arent the unique comp. Museum.
i have also one with eg a 170MB HD with a RLL interface which cost me around 300$ 10 years ago. hehe.
& also a ZX81 (20 years ago) & an Oric1 which has used the first Basic language. hehe.

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labdog on 02/23/02 08:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 24, 2002 2:15:50 AM

Yep, very "mature" stuff, but nothing beats my old Commodore Vic 20 (no i don't still have that)
Chow twice = wouf

February 24, 2002 2:29:56 AM

Quote:
Eureka!
IBM SCSI 0663L12 ID #(03)
Now we are going places!
OS install time.
Thank you THGF
Ya!

Well the fun was short lived, damnit!
After installing Win98, drivers to component cards, then installing "The Sims" and playing a short while, the controller no longer detects the SCSI components. In fact at bootup the sequence frezzes with the SCSI NCR controler querrying the SCSI components.
Does'nt even detect main SCSI DD at ID # (00) as before.
Well have'nt checked cables, perhaps it is just loose at one of the connections.
If not I'm lost again. This time looks really bad :-(((

February 24, 2002 8:25:05 AM

YOU ask me about old stuff, i reply you.
that's all :)  lol

February 24, 2002 9:14:19 AM

Alors je te laisse le dernier mot!
chow 2 fois = aboiement

February 24, 2002 9:22:05 AM

whats about <i>chinese dog</i>, have you something wrong ? :) 

February 24, 2002 9:29:05 AM

Nothing wrong here, but we should`nt eat dogs :-(

February 24, 2002 9:35:38 AM

yep.

February 24, 2002 10:47:58 PM

Quote:
Well the fun was short lived, damnit!
After installing Win98, drivers to component cards, then installing "The Sims" and playing a short while, the controller no longer detects the SCSI components. In fact at bootup the sequence frezzes with the SCSI NCR controler querrying the SCSI components.
Does'nt even detect main SCSI DD at ID # (00) as before.
Well have'nt checked cables, perhaps it is just loose at one of the connections.
If not I'm lost again. This time looks really bad :-(((

Well after some verifications, it was the first SCSI DD ID #(00) that had crashed. Since this was the first on the cable, the controler froze right there! Well, that little $5 CAD IBM 1 gig drive has just moved up in the world and is doing quite fine thank you very much. Will try an get a twin brother. Hell, $ 5 CAD = ~$3 US, a good deal, no? The guy had 4 or 5 when he sold me the first.
A problem identied is a problem 3/4 solved i always say. :-)))
Cheers

A little brown humanoid plus a case of probes with that sir?
!