bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
I am currently using a 7870 Sapphire video card, Brand new, about a week old. It has started making this really high pitched squealing sound, Its not over heating, The PSU is brand new as well. I disconnect the video card, No squealing. Reconnect it, and the squealing is back. Should I RMA ? Is this a serious issue ? I know the sound is extremely annoying.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I take the GPU out, No squealing, I can also spin the fan on the card, and it makes a grinding sound. Been running without it for about 30 minutes now and no sound, It sounds like the fan is rubbing on the housing.

bigtalon

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012

I've read the Sapphire 7870's have alot of problems "the one I had" would you think a Gigabyte would be better ? I could get a refund and just purchase the gigabyte as its the same price. But it seems like the Sapphire card has alot of problems

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
It's because of the cheap construction of the fan bearings the fan got out of whack and is hitting the area around it and creating the noise.

Sapphire 7870 are cheap for a reason, they also have very cheap ceramic caps that can result in screen tearing, etc..