Sign in with
Your question

Really Annoying Squeeling

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2013 9:54:12 PM

I am currently using a 7870 Sapphire video card, Brand new, about a week old. It has started making this really high pitched squealing sound, Its not over heating, The PSU is brand new as well. I disconnect the video card, No squealing. Reconnect it, and the squealing is back. Should I RMA ? Is this a serious issue ? I know the sound is extremely annoying.

More about : annoying squeeling

January 12, 2013 11:23:36 PM

Where the sound came from? fan or the card board?
January 12, 2013 11:25:37 PM

ashharun said:
Where the sound came from? fan or the card board?

I take the GPU out, No squealing, I can also spin the fan on the card, and it makes a grinding sound. Been running without it for about 30 minutes now and no sound, It sounds like the fan is rubbing on the housing.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2013 11:27:03 PM

Sounds like the bearings in the fan have failed. Return it for another.
January 12, 2013 11:48:21 PM

popatim said:
Sounds like the bearings in the fan have failed. Return it for another.

I've read the Sapphire 7870's have alot of problems "the one I had" would you think a Gigabyte would be better ? I could get a refund and just purchase the gigabyte as its the same price. But it seems like the Sapphire card has alot of problems
January 13, 2013 12:42:57 AM

It's because of the cheap construction of the fan bearings the fan got out of whack and is hitting the area around it and creating the noise.

Sapphire 7870 are cheap for a reason, they also have very cheap ceramic caps that can result in screen tearing, etc..
a c 91 U Graphics card
January 13, 2013 1:01:21 AM

coil wine. supposedly caused by some power supplies. try another supply or try in somebody else' system.
!