Sign in with
Your question

Computer build, Best of the Best

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2013 9:09:01 PM

Hi,

I want to build an enthusiast computer build. I want the BEST OF THE BEST. Is this build good?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($115.00 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PREMIUM ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($443.88 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair DOMINATOR GT 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($429.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 480GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($495.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($179.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: OCZ RevoDrive 110GB PCI-E Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($999.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($999.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($64.50 @ Vuugo)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($17.06 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 3-Pack (OEM) (64-bit) ($597.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $6914.09
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-02 18:07 EST-0500)

Feel free to leave any suggestions on what parts to change.

By the way, PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE.

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

More about : computer build

a c 100 G Storage
March 2, 2013 9:14:39 PM

Whay are you buying a three pack of Windows?
More doesn't equal better here :lol: 

May I ask whats the purpose of the rig?
Is it a video editing/rendering machine, or are you just buying overkill parts just because why not?
m
l
March 2, 2013 9:19:56 PM

manofchalk said:
Whay are you buying a three pack of Windows?
More doesn't equal better here :lol: 

May I ask whats the purpose of the rig?
Is it a video editing/rendering machine, or are you just buying overkill parts just because why not?

Buying overkill parts because why not? I am a computer enthusiast. Also, is my power supply too small?
m
l
a c 100 G Storage
March 2, 2013 9:35:02 PM

I think it would be sufficient to say that it is unlikely this rig will ever draw more than 900W.

IMO, go overkill in the right places with extreme rigs, and the CPU/GPU/Storage isn't the place to do it. Go overkill on the case, cooling and monitors.

So get something from MountainMods/Caselabs or a higher end case like a SIlvertone TJ11, Corsair 800D or Coolermaster Cosmos II. If your truly nuts, the Cross Desk by Red Harbinger. A nice custom water-loop and some large IPS displays.
Because there's not much point spending a ton of money on things like processors, graphics cards, RAM, Storage (to a lesser extent, HDD's don't seem to be going anywhere quickly) because within three years guaranteed it will be outdated and obsolete. These parts you will have to perpetually upgrade to keep up with current standards, so there's not much point sinking a ton of money in them in the hope they will last longer.

The case, cooling and monitors, they will outlast the rig by years. I got a 1080p monitor when they were relatively new, and I still use it to this day. Its been hooked up to graphics cards ranging from a 8800GT to my current 7870, just to give perspective on how long it has lasted.
A case is a solid hunk of metal, it wont become outdated. Get a good case and it will last you multiple builds until you eventually get rid of it just because you want a different, not because you need a different one.
Cooling (especially Custom water) is very adaptable, make a good loop and you can keep using those parts for as long as they physically hold up. Plus, Custom water is so much better than the CLC cooling youv got on there.

TL;DR
Get a reasonable rig when it comes to "Core" components (CPU,GPU,RAM,Mobo,Storage) and go overkill everywhere else. Theres no point spending a ton of money on the core components, because more performance wont make it any better to use unless you actually need that performance.
m
l
Related resources
!