Budget Gaming Rig + Gaming laptop questions

Cekay3

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hi All,

Recently my boyfriend and I have been talking about getting new computers, he is after a cheap gaming rig and I am after a decent laptop for gaming/school.

I'm looking for a good laptop that I can use for school, I want it to last at least the next 3 years still running fast, I also want to be able to use it for gaming.

My budget is around USD$1600 though I can go above that if needed. What I am really looking for is best value for my money.

I know this year I am going to be using photoshop, premier and at times running a virtual machine so I am after an i7 core. I would also prefer a SSD boot drive and then extra HDD for storage.

My boyfriend thinks for graphics card I shouldn't look for lower than a nVIDIA GTX 675 since I want it to last for a while. I would prefer backlit keyboard but no requirement for it. I am not too worried about battery life (expect 2 hours, any more is a bonus). Weight/size had me looking at 15” only however 17" is acceptable too.

In fact I had all but decided on going with xoticpcs's Sager NP9510 (Clevo 150EM) found here: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9150-clevo-p150em-p-4341.html?wconfigure=yes.

My build was:
15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen
Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3630QM (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP)
nVidia GeForce GTX 670MX 3,072MB PCI-Express GDDR5 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
8GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
mSATA as boot: 128GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD - Preconfigured as an OS Drive
750GB 7200RPM [Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache]
No OS since I have Win7 Disc already
Everything else is standard.

That came to $1449.00.

However what I noticed yesterday was the Fang laptops of cyberpower, it is bigger and heavier (not ideal) plus I don't like the look as much.. But it looks much better value for money, which is what I am really after.

So I was looking at the fangbook x7 found here: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Fangbook_X7-100

My build for this one was:
CyberPowerPC FANGBOOK 17.3" FHD LED-Backlit 1920x1080 Display
Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Mobile Processor 2.40 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.40 GHz
NVIDIA GTX 675MX 4GB PCIe Video
8 GB (4GBx2) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory
128GB Corsair Force GS Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - boot
750GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive
8X DVD±R/RW/4X + DL Super-Multi Drive
No OS
Everything else default.

Total: $1406

I'm just wondering if those builds sound right and if anyone has a recommendation on things to change or any other sites to look at.

Now my second question is looking at a budget gaming rig for my boyfriend, looking at buying from cyberpower since he isn't willing to try building himself. Case doesn't matter in terms of looks but he wants it upgradeable so in the future he doesn't have to get a new rig.

I would say budget is around $1000, the cheaper the better.

What he tells me he wants is i5 with ability to overclock, he's happy to try OC himself rather than pay someone to do it. He already has an Thermaltake 850watt PSU.

He would also like to use a SSD for boot, doesn't need to buy a HDD for storage since he has 2 already. Not sure of the graphics card at all.

Now I can see cyperpower also has AMD builds but I honestly have no idea what the difference is and which would be better to go with...

Also I would love to get him a new monitor.

Gaming for both laptop and pc would probably be Tera, Aion, Skyrim + future MMOs like Archeage and Blade & Soul.
Graphics wouldn't need to be max but mid without any graphics lag is preferred.

I'm sorry if this is all posted in the wrong place :S

Please let me know if I haven't included enough information.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Christina

1k isn't really a budget build :p

Are you sure you and your bf don't want to build it yourself, its pretty easy with lots of guides

You get better pricing and a sense of fulfillment :p :)

For the laptop you can consider looking at the asus rog series or MSI ones

as for laptop, you are in the right direction, an np9150/9170 is good for its price. alternatives would be a eurocom racer 2.0 or a MSI GT70. as for the desktop, its really dependant on preferences, and what you need exactly. Is he choosing to build for himself or getting a prebuilt.

Cekay3

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

Haha the 1k is made up of $600 from him and the rest from me, he isn't keen on me paying for his rig but I don't really want to skimp on stuff, if it was up to him he would keep his old monitor that squeals and takes 30mins+ to actually turn on...

I won't be helping him build :( since I'm going to be away so it would be down to him. Depending on price I think I could twist his arm to do a new build, would need lots of help though. I'll have a look through the new-build stickys and see if there's any specific questions I have.

I had a look at MSI and they seemed more expensive for the same thing but I'll have another look at those too.

Cekay3

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

From what I can see the MSI is a bit too pricy, I hadn't seen the eurocom racer before so I'm reading some reviews on it.

Out of curiosity is there a reason why you don't think the fangbook would be as good?

the Fangbook X7 is pretty good for the price. not a big fan on its exterior appearance though. Other than that, I generally dont know much about quality of retailers like cyberpower as I generally tend to avoid them, and its a once in awhile situation where someone asks for a laptop.

Cekay3

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Thanks guys, I've had a chat with the bf and he's scanned prices and thinks building himself is more expensive than getting from cyber power.

Basic details below.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: within the next month
Budget Range: $1000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, (MMOs mostly, building for the future to play games that will come out in the next few years)
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Do you need to buy OS: NO
Parts Preferences: Intel + NVIDIA
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: No idea
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 probably

If anyone could have a look at this build and tell me what they think, in terms of stuff like motherboards I have zero idea what is needed so any advise would be awesome.

As for the case he doesn't mind look, but doesn't want the side-window cause he thinks it will be louder..

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage (Black Color)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
HDD: 128GB Corsair Force GS Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 560MB/s Read & 535MB/s Write (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator (All Venom OC Certified) push & pull
PSU: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Monitor: 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD
No OS

Total with tax: Grand Total: $1,032.96

Built off Gamer_Xtreme_2000 found http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_2000

The Haf 912 has a side fan that would likely make it louder than a windowed case...

Chose a CM USb 3 case (since the haf912 lacks it) and windowed for the same price

You get a lot stronger GPU (3-4x power?) if he DIY's
128Gb SSD that is as fast as if not faster than the Corsair (AFAIK)
Higher end, quality MB that can SLI
600W PSU, likely similar with custom build one
H60 cooler, similar to the CM one, just add a fan yourself (any OC below 4.3ghz, the H60 can handle on 1 fan, personal experience) or even better yet, go get a good air cooler like the CM 812 TPC (good as NH-D14, only $40 so $40 cheaper)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Plextor M5S Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($213.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1036.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-04 13:49 EST-0500)

Compare the 650 and 660 here

perfrel_1920.gif