Halo and Microsoftantispyware

a b 8 Security
July 26, 2005 8:07:22 PM

In halo at the end of the game if I don't make it to the ship in time and
halo is supposed to
blow up. If I have Microsoftantispyware loaded with antispyware security
agents enabled on
startup, Halo throws an exception and asks me to send an arror report. If I
disable the realtime
security agents it works like its supposed to. If I make it to the ship the
game ends normally
even with the security agents enabled.

Jim M
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 26, 2005 11:13:01 PM

Hi Jim,

It's not unusual for security software to cause that type of issue,
especially when it's still in Beta like Microsoft Anti-Spyware is.

Can you reproduce the same behaviour with the most recent version?
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

"JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:XL6dnZutx6C1KXvfRVn-qg@comcast.com...
| In halo at the end of the game if I don't make it to the ship in time and
| halo is supposed to
| blow up. If I have Microsoftantispyware loaded with antispyware security
| agents enabled on
| startup, Halo throws an exception and asks me to send an arror report. If I
| disable the realtime
| security agents it works like its supposed to. If I make it to the ship the
| game ends normally
| even with the security agents enabled.
|
| Jim M

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2005 3:15:25 PM

Normally, you should close down AntiSpyware, just like closing down
anti-virus programs, when playing games.

"Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
> Hi Jim,
>
> It's not unusual for security software to cause that type of issue,
> especially when it's still in Beta like Microsoft Anti-Spyware is.
>
> Can you reproduce the same behaviour with the most recent version?
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
> rights.
>
> "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | In halo at the end of the game if I don't make it to the ship in time
> and
> | halo is supposed to
> | blow up. If I have Microsoftantispyware loaded with antispyware security
> | agents enabled on
> | startup, Halo throws an exception and asks me to send an arror report.
> If I
> | disable the realtime
> | security agents it works like its supposed to. If I make it to the ship
> the
> | game ends normally
> | even with the security agents enabled.
> |
> | Jim M

a b 8 Security
July 27, 2005 3:15:26 PM

| Normally, you should close down AntiSpyware, just like closing down
| anti-virus programs, when playing games.
|

| "Jimmy S." <nosp@m.pls> wrote in message
| > Hi Jim,
| >
| > It's not unusual for security software to cause that type of issue,
| > especially when it's still in Beta like Microsoft Anti-Spyware is.
| >
| > Can you reproduce the same behaviour with the most recent version?
| > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/softwa...
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| > rights.
| >
| > "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | In halo at the end of the game if I don't make it to the ship in time
| > and
| > | halo is supposed to
| > | blow up. If I have Microsoftantispyware loaded with antispyware
security
| > | agents enabled on
| > | startup, Halo throws an exception and asks me to send an arror report.
| > If I
| > | disable the realtime
| > | security agents it works like its supposed to. If I make it to the
ship
| > the
| > | game ends normally
| > | even with the security agents enabled.
| > |
| > | Jim M
| > |
| > |

I REALLY wouldn't recommend shutting down all your security just to play a
game, especially if you are online for any reason. I've known people to be
hacked by other players while in multi-player games. If you have a
broadband connection or just happened to be dialed into the internet, you
can still get hacked while playing a game.

If you're willing to open up your PC to all manners of attack just to play
games, you can do that; BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 6:32:37 PM

AntiSpyware is NOT a firewall!!!!! I was recommending to close it during
the the game session. You should always keep a firewall running but as with
most game manfacturer, they recommend turning off the "active virus"
detection. Therefore, it should also be donw for the 'active spyware"
monitoring.

news:o kmOoEskFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!