Fullscreen flash video completely locking up my PC?

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
When watching youtube videos in fullscreen, eventually the screen turns purple and becomes pixelated. The sound of the video continues for a few seconds, and then even that stops. I can't alt tab, escape, use the windows key, and not even ctrl alt delete will do anything. My only option seems to be to restart. I've managed to reproduce this around 3 times today alone (the error doesn't happen instantly upon going fullscreen into the video, and it doesn't happen at all if I don't do fullscreen).

I want to note that I'm still using a hard drive that's been considered bad by a number of diagnostics programs since early February, but since this is a repeatable scenario related to watching videos on youtube, I want to assume for now that that isn't the main cause (because I don't want to replace the drive right now if not absolutely necessary). Notable things are that I've recently replaced my GTS 450 with a 560 TI, which seems to be fine. I play BF3 on ultra, and temps only go up to about 67c (I'm playing on 1440x900 mind you), so I don't think this is a problem with the card. Maxing GTAIV works fine as well.

The only other thing is that I updated my drivers to 296.10 yesterday. Is this likely to be the cause of my problem, or is this a possible symptom of a dying hard drive? Or maybe my card really is bad in some way?

Soraiku

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Well, I switched back to the 295.73 drivers, and the freezing seems to have stopped, though I'm still a bit concerned due to the severity of the results of just putting a flash video in full screen. Full pc locks are a bit unusual for me.